Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo | Keto / Low Carb – Supergolden Bakes
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo is full of flavor, easy and low carb! This Filipino-inspired marinade will become one of your favorite dinners. This recipe is Keto / Low Carb | Gluten Free | Dairy Free
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure
Ever since I posted my Filipino-style lamb skewers, I’ve been a bit obsessed with their recipes. Adobo chicken is a very popular Filipino dish: the rich sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and sugar is totally addictive!
I’ve taken some liberties with the recipe, so I can’t say this is a real chicken marinade. On the one hand, I’ve done it in my faithful slow cooker… And I’ve added coconut cream to the sauce.
I can honestly say that this recipe is an explosion of flavor, beyond delicious served with rice. But since this recipe is low carb, you can serve it with cauliflower rice or even puree to keep it ketogenic.
You’ll need only a handful of ingredients for this easy recipe. If your slow cooker allows burning, you can brown the chicken directly in the slow cooker.
- Chicken thighs – with bone and skin. If you prefer to use chicken thighs or skinless chicken thighs, that’s totally fine! I would avoid chicken breasts unless you want to serve the shredded chicken in the sauce.
- Soy sauce – I used
- rice vinegar, etc.
- Fish sauce: just a little, you can skip
- lots of chopped garlic, bay leaves and black pepper
- Coconut cream (the thick UHT type of a carton, not milk). If you can’t find it, use whole canned coconut milk.
- burn (or use other types of oil)Chives, dried coconut for garnish How to
gluten-free Tamari apple cider vinegar – or white vinegar,
Coconut oil to
Make Slow Cooker Chicken Marinade
measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before trying this recipe!
Start by marinating chicken thighs with soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce, chopped garlic and coconut cream. Mix everything together in a bowl and marinate for 30 minutes or up to two hours (covered in the fridge).
Use tweezers to remove the chicken from the marinade, letting it drip. Reserve the marinade and transfer the chicken to a paper-lined plate. Pat the chicken dry so that the skin becomes crispy.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or skillet and seal the chicken thighs, skin down, for about five minutes, until the skin is golden brown. Turn to the other side and cook for another two minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Pour the marinade into your slow cooker. Add chicken, bay leaves, and pepper. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours at the HIGH setting. I found my chicken cooked very quickly, so check the temperature after 1 1/2 hours. The chicken is ready when the internal temperature is 75C/165F when checked with a digital thermometer.
If you want to slightly thicken the sauce, you can add some almond flour (or cornstarch suspension if you don’t mind carbs). Garnish with chopped scallions and serve over cauliflower rice or mash for a keto meal or steamed white rice.
TIPS AND FAQS
- Chicken Adobo: The recipe as written is Keto and low carb. Be sure to serve it with cauliflower rice or mash to keep carbs low.
- Make it slim down World Friendly: Use skinless chicken thighs and replace coconut cream with chicken broth. Skip the scorching or use Fry Light instead of coconut oil.
- DO I HAVE to seal the chicken first? It adds flavor and color to the skin, but you can skip the step if you’re in a hurry. Use skinless thighs and simply add the chicken and marinade in the slow cooker and cook
- Make shredded chicken marinade: Replace thighs with skinless chicken breasts. Marinate and add to the slow cooker without burning first. Cook for 2-3 hours, then remove from the slow cooker and mash with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce, delicious!
HAVE YOU MADE MY POLLO ADOBO RECIPE? Post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram or save it on Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and brighten my day!
Popular Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow cooker Chicken
- cooker Roast Beef
- Lamb Slow Cooker Beef
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE DO SO USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT/POST THE RECIPE OR FULL CONTENT.