Slow Cooker Italian Eye of Round Roast With Vegetables
I first shared this slow cooker roast in 2015, but it deserved some new photos and a bit of a makeover.
You know I love simmering, but I often stick with chicken when, in reality, making beef is even more great for the clay pot.
Because it cooks low and slow, you end up with tender fork, melting in your mouth the meat with a richer flavor.
Adding the potatoes and carrots means you get all your food made in a pot, which makes dinner time a breeze.
What is a round roast eye?
A round eye
is a tasty cut that comes from the hindquarters of a cow (the “round”). It’s a lean cut, making it less tender than more expensive cuts of beef, but that just means it’s perfect for slow cooking.
Team that ned Slow Cooker
- – I have been recommending this slow cooker for years. You can read my full review here.
- Kitchen knife – To cut
- Ladle – For bringing out all that goodness when it’s done. How cute is this ladle?!
- Serving plate – To plate roast and vegetables.
Ingredients for the slow cooker Italian Roast
- Beef ONION – A large (or yellow) white onion, cut into quarters
- POTATOES – I usually use red-skinned potatoes, cut in half to be similar in size. If they are especially large, you can butcher them. Yukon gold also works well.
- CARROTS: Whether it’s a bag of baby carrots or washing, peeling and chopping full-size carrots.
- ROUND ROAST EYE – Look for a 3-pound round roast eye. It is also sometimes called round-eye pot roast.
- WATER – I opt to use water and au jus mix, but you can use meat broth, just skip the au jus package.
- GARLIC – Two cloves of fresh garlic, crushed. If you have minced garlic packaged in oil, that will work too.
- AU JUS MIX – A package of au jus mix.
- ITALIAN DRESSING MIX – I like the Good Seasons brand dry dressing blend.
How to Make Italian Crockpot Eye of Round Roast
STEP ONE: First, cut the
- onion into quarters, cut the potatoes and carrots and spread them on the bottom of the slow cooker
- STEP TWO: Next, place the roast on top and add the crushed garlic, au jus mixture and Italian dressing mixture evenly over the roast and vegetables. Then, pour the water over the top.
- STEP THREE: Finally, cover and cook at LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 6 hours.
- STEP FOUR: Remove it to a serving platter, cut and enjoy!
What to serve with it
you’re cooking potatoes and carrots directly with roasting, you don’t need much on the side
You can combine it with a salad and some garlic knots, easy 3-ingredient cookies or even beer bread.
There is always room for dessert and since this is comfort food, stick with the theme and finish with some lush chocolate or strawberry brownie delight
If you want to keep things lighter, pineapple coconut cake is good and easy. Or a vintage strawberry cake.
leftovers How to store leftovers Store
an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days
Leftovers heat up very well. You can put portions in the microwave or throw everything in a pan with some water in the oven to heat. It makes excellent hot roast beef sandwiches.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is round beef
Because it is naturally a hard cut of meat, ojo de redondo is perfect for cooking slowly and in stews
. What is the difference
between chuck roast and eye of round?
The main difference is where they are cut from the cow. Chuck’s roast is shoulder and has more fat content, while the upper round roast is cut from the hind leg and is leaner. Both, however, are big, hard cuts that are budget-friendly.
Do I have to seal the roast first?
Burning the roast before adding it to the slow cooker adds color and flavor. Browning it helps caramelize the top of the roast, however, I like to put minimal effort into my slow cook meals, so I rarely burn it first.
How does the sauce thicken?
To thicken the tasty sauce from the juices, make a cornstarch suspension by beating 2 tablespoons of cold water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl and pouring it into the slow cooker.
If you want to make a thicker sauce, I recommend my brown sauce.
Need more recipes from Slow Cooker Beef Roast Recipes? Try these:
Crockpot Mississippi Pot RoastSlow Cooker
Beef Crock Pot Roast BeefSlow Cooker Pot RoastSlow Cooker Italian Meat Sandwiches
Click here to see my entire collection of meat recipes.