25+ Pie Iron Recipes for Camping – Homemade Heather
These iron cake recipes are perfect for when we are camping in the desert. We just returned from a long weekend of camping and I have to tell you it was SO FUN!
While in the woods, of course, we enjoy a wide variety of camping meals that don’t always include hot dogs. Today I’ve rounded up some of our favorite Pie Iron recipes for you…
Too busy to do this right away?! Paint them for later! Pin these recipes to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and they’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy shop, where you can now find custom camping gear, or download our eBook of Favorite Camping Recipes!
If you like these, be sure to check out our 20+ iron dessert cake recipes too! I love using a cake griddle (or a camp kitchen, the same thing) while camping.
They are easy to heat over the campfire and make cleaning the food super simple. If you don’t have one, you definitely need to buy a Pie Iron of your own and try some of these delicious recipes!
These Camp Cooker cinnamon rolls are a current viral favorite!
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camping cooking essentials:
An iron cake
- camp kitchen from Rome industries makes cooking over an open fire a breeze. These are the best cast iron cake irons! I wouldn’t recommend an aluminum plate because in my experience aluminum models tend to warp and break.
- Visit my post on how to use an iron cake for tips on how to use this long-handled camp kitchen.
- Aluminum foil plates make meals from aluminum foil packets even easier with the sturdy base they provide.
- These roasting bags I found recently are amazing! Simply add all your ingredients to the bag at home and then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping outdoors.
- We love these BBQ kitchen gloves because they make campfire food handling so much safer!
Pie Iron Recipes
This recipe from Camp Cooker Pumpkin Pie gets kids eating chubby cakes all summer long
Camp Cooker cookies are super fun to bake with a campfire cake griddle! Check out the post for tips on how to make the perfect camping cookies over an open flame.
This is my favorite way to make garlic bread while camping.
Camp Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is the best of two slices of bread!
This recipe from Camp Cooker Cherry Pie makes the pudgie cake more delicious on a cast iron griddle!
Pizza pockets made on a standard-sized cake griddle are the perfect way to enjoy pizza on the go!
A double cake griddle is a great way to cook French toast over the fire pit! These are the best cake irons to feed a crowd.
This camp cooking fajita recipe is another family favorite!
The sun-dried tomato and goat cheese croissant is an elegant treat while outdoors!
Pie Iron PB&J is always a hit with kids!
Pie Iron Nutella and Banana Biscuits make delicious hand cakes.
Ham and cheese cresents are a great way to make “grilled cheese” over the fire.
These chicken and iron pesto wraps for cakes are absolutely delicious!
Pie Iron Breakfast Bake is an amazing way to enjoy breakfast between two slices of bread!
This Apple Turnover tastes just like apple pie!
Camp Cooker Pizza can easily be made with some pizza dough, pizza sauce and melted cheese cooked over the embers of a fire.
This Breakfast Bake is almost as good as Starbucks!
Tips for cooking with a
- When cooking with a camping pot for the first time, start by applying nonstick spray, olive oil, or butter on the inside of both cooking dishes. This step is important so that your delicious food does not stick to the dishes and burn.
- Place your recipe ingredients in the pot before closing and hooking it.
- Cook the recipe over an open fire. We recommend placing the pot on the fire for two minutes before unhooking, checking if it is okay and turning the pot over to cook the other side.
- Be careful when handling both the metal latch and handles, as they can heat up while cooking.
Spaghetti is a fun twist on traditional pastel iron recipes
These Parmesan chicken wraps look amazing
Chicken chimichangas are very similar to Hobo pies
Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese is always a good idea
The iron ham omelette for cakes would make a delicious camping brunch
! Mountain dessert cakes
can be made with any sweet filling
Cherry Cream Cheese Pie is another great version of chubby cakes!
Pie Iron Cheesy Tots are a hit with the Kids!
Quesadillas are my favorite.
Pie Iron Hashbrown would pair nicely with bacon and eggs.
Camp meal preparation tips:
- Prepare meals ahead of time at home whenever possible. Leave most of the clutter at home, where running water is more accessible and cleaning is easier. Trust me in this one!
- Create family-style “one pot” meals for quick dinners that don’t require much thought.
- Use foil packets, aluminum cake pans, or camping kitchens. These tools help make cleaning a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1-gallon freezer bags for flexible storage in refrigerators and small refrigerators.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packaging and planning easy. These recipes for vegetable fire sauce with cheese, loaded campfire potatoes and aluminum foil package nacho sauce are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
There are so many delicious iron recipes for cakes, hey?! Be sure to add some of these to your next camping trip!
The philadelphia cheese steak looks especially delicious. Which is your favorite? Do you have an iron recipe for cakes? Please share, I’d love to try it!