Southern Slow Cooker Collard Greens – The Typical Mom
Meatless slow-cooked kale is the best Southern dish. Tender with bacon or vegetarian style, Crockpot vegetables cook themselves all day.
Crockpot Collard Greens
These two terms are synonymous, call it Crock or cooker will remain the same. I would say as one side this will serve 6-8 people. If you have a lot of people coming, you could double it, but you’d need a really big pot for that. For fewer people, and much faster, you can make some Instant Pot cabbages for 3-4 people.
Now let’s talk about these sheets if you are not very familiar with them. Are kales healthy? Yes, they are packed with nutrients, especially vitamin K, which helps keep your bones nice and healthy. Dark greens are also great sources of fiber, so eat them!
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking, okay? First of all, I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each has an occasion to be used as…
- This is my programmable 6-quart favorite with a locking lid, so it’s also great to take
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers, you should get this one that sits next to each other
- I prefer not to use coatings, but simply to sprinkle olive oil inside before adding my food for easy cleanings.
to a meal.
Let me give you a look at my pretty thang I recently bought. It goes with my kitchen, so I can leave it on the countertop all the time. 😉
Meat Slow Cooker Kale
There are many variations when it comes to this one. If you have leftover ham, it’s a great addition to use and add a lot of flavor to the overall dish. With that you can skip all the seasonings.
Slow cook kale
That said, it’s all about adding pieces of bacon or baking some frozen bacon in the oven, dicing it, and adding it to the mix. It comes with a lot of flavor and sodium, so you can use it with your vegetables and broth or water.
Is cabbage the same as kale?
No, I mean it’s part of the same family but definitely different. If you love cabbage recipes you know that the biggest difference is the texture of the leaf.
These are much firmer and smaller than the other. Green much darker too, so the color is very different. BUT yes, they’re in the same category, so there’s that.
What do collard greens taste like?
First of all, don’t eat them raw. It would be like grabbing a leaf from a tree and chewing, it’s not good. Super bitter, chewy, leaf-like, need to be cooked with all things.
BUT if you let them soften in a mixture of broth and vinegar or some melted butter, change the whole flavor. Top with diced bacon to take it to the next level of YUM.
Curly cabbage slow cooker
How do you transition from these bitter to tender vegetables with a lighter flavor that will go well served with our crumbled Crockpot frozen chicken breasts? You’ll need some flavored broth so they can soak and wilt enough to melt in your mouth. A little vinegar will attenuate the natural flavor of the vegetables and then the seasonings of your choice.
- You’ll use a bunch of kale
- Remove the hard center stems
- then cut the leaves into large pieces Sliced red onion
- Chopped garlic
- Olive oil
- cups vegetable broth or chicken
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- A few strips of cooked bacon, of course, this is optional and better if sprinkled on top when done,
- Some like to put leftover ham inside to add flavor as well
- . For sweetness, you can add 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar at first,
- you can throw a can of black-eyed peas there to get a more filling dish
At the end taste and adjust the seasoning as you wish. If you want to add some heat, you can add some crushed red pepper flakes, as well as salt and pepper, of course.
How to cut kale The
first most important part to the success of this is knowing how to prepare them, right? 😉 It’s a bit like making kale by baking chips with that vegetable in the oven. Both have a hard stem in the middle that is inedible, and leaves larger than they fit in the mouth. Therefore, you should remove the NOs and cut off the YES.
- Rinse each piece
- cutting board
- Place one folded in half lengthwise so that the stem is on its dominant side
- Cut down to remove that, discard
- Turn the halves of 2 leaves sideways and cut them into large bite-sized pieces Throw the prepared pieces into your
- pot so you can add other ingredients
to remove dirt and debris Prepare one sheet at a time on a
of the hand
That’s it! This will make it easier to chew and digest.
How to cook collard greens with
If you want to add more flavor, I suggest you deliver crispy bacon in the oven beforehand. Then cut it into pieces so that when this is done you can sprinkle them on top. Add to the pot will make it soaked.
- Cut thick center stems away from kale, set aside leafy greens.
- Slice or dice the red onion into thin rings, set aside.
- Spread olive oil, or sprinkle, on the bottom of the clay pot
- Place the leaves in the slow cooker. Place the red onion rings in the slow cooker. Top with chopped garlic. Pour chicken or vegetable broth and apple cider vinegar over vegetables.
- If you want to add an extra flavor add smoked ham hocks in the center
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 hours or until your cooked vegetables are as tender as you would like. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the bacon, fry and crumble.
Remove the ham hocks if you added them, cut the meat into cubes and put it back in the pot so that it can be enjoyed all together. If you love curly cabbages, this is an easy side dish you’re sure to love with cornbread in a cast-iron skillet! Whether you’re from the South or not, it has become increasingly popular across the country.