Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole (Chicken Divan) | Diethood
I love this chicken broccoli casserole. Perfectly cooked broccoli, tender and juicy white meat chicken, with an incredibly creamy sauce and with cheese, what more could you ask for? And to top it off, it’s a healthy and easy recipe, with no processed ingredients in sight! Impressive, right?
CHICKEN SAUCEPAN WITH BROCCOLI WITH CHEESE Everyone
loves a warm, classic casserole like Chicken Divan, or as it’s more commonly known, Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Many recipes call for condensed soups to get that smooth, creamy cheese sauce, but this one uses only cream, broth, real cheese, and some natural cornstarch, so it’s low carb, gluten-free, and healthier overall.
You’ll love how the tender chunks of chicken breast are paired with mushrooms, broccoli florets and cheese and herb sauce. It’s comfort food you can really feel happy about!
COOKED CHICKEN BREAST
- : You will need 1-1 1/2 pounds of cooked, shredded, or chopped chicken breast. Roast chicken can be substituted.
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms olive oil: Also known as Crimini
- Broccoli florets: About 4 cups total. Baby broccoli florets are great, but you can also use regular florets; If it does, cut the larger florets into small, bite-sized pieces.
- : Chop or put through a garlic press.
- Salt and pepper
- oregano and thyme
- About 8 ounces of grated mozzarella, divided
- Chicken broth: I use low-sodium broth
- You will need 1/2 cup of cream; Half and half can be substituted, but the sauce may not be as thick.
- Chopped fresh parsley: To decorate
. Thick whipped cream of
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN BREAST
- If you’re preparing chicken breast for this dish, instead of using a rotisserie, my Stove Top Chicken Breast method is super quick and easy. Simply season the chicken breasts, seal them for about 6-7 minutes per side and finish with a tablespoon of butter. That’s all! (Tip: Use a meat thermometer to check if it’s cooked and do more! These freeze beautifully and are useful for a quick meal!)
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Chop/crush the chicken and place a layer in a baking dish: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Then crumble or chop the cooked chicken and place it in the baking dish.
- Sauté vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and garlic; Season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano, and continue cooking for 3 more minutes. Place this mixture on the chicken.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of chicken broth with cornstarch and bata until pasty. Add the remaining chicken broth to the hot pan; Beat the cornstarch paste, heavy cream, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until it begins to thicken.
- to the casserole: Pour this sauce over the chicken mixture and stir well; sprinkle with the remaining cheese
- Bake and serve: Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil for 9 to 10 more minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Add the sauce
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CASSEROLE IN ADVANCE Follow
these tips for best results!
- To make this casserole in advance, first prepare the chicken, vegetables, and sauce separately.
- If frozen, place prepared chicken, vegetables, and sauce in individual freezer bags, expelling as much air as possible before sealing. Freeze for up to 3 months. For baking, thaw the ingredients overnight in the refrigerator, assemble the casserole the next day and bake according to the recipe.
- If it is refrigerating, assemble the entire casserole to the point of baking. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Bake and serve according to recipe instructions. Do not store or freeze leftovers.
- SERVICE SUGGESTIONS This dish has a lot of indulgent umami flavor, thanks to the mushrooms, cheese, chicken and broccoli. I like to combine it with something light, but earthy as a contrast. Try my radish and cucumber and tomato salad as a side dish or starter.
- A simple side of Maple Roasted Carrots adds color and sweetness to the menu, creating a hearty meal with very little effort!
- You can also serve this casserole with a Light Skillet cornbread for the main course, followed by an amazing dessert, like my strawberry and pretzel dessert, to complete the menu.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- Store leftovers in tightly coated containers, or in individual portions sealed in plastic food storage bags, for up to 3 days.
- Store leftovers in the freezer, tightly wrapped and sealed, for up to three months.
- Do not save leftovers if the casserole was pre-prepared in advance and froze before baking.
- To reheat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator (if frozen). Bake leftovers at 350°F, covered, until heated.
More Cheesy chicken casserole recipes
- Rice and cauliflower rice casserole
- Broccoli and chicken and quinoa casserole with
- cheese Baked Chicken Spinach ENJOY