The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe (Video) – A Spicy Perspective
Delicious Sauce – We’re sharing our secrets to making the best homemade sauce recipe we’ve ever tried. Healthy, fresh and easy to adjust!
Fresh tomatoes and sauce
There is a tomato overload in my backyard right now
Every year I plant many more tomato seeds than any family should, hoping that some plants will survive and thrive. I’m not known for being the best gardener, however, I’m lucky from time to time.
This year, my tomato plants took off, providing us with a seemingly endless supply of seven varieties of tomatoes. I’ve been eating them in salads and sauces for the past month.
However, I always say, when life gives you tomatoes… Make sauce!
There are hundreds of thousands of tomato-based sauce recipes online. Why should you
make this one? Well, we think this is the best homemade sauce recipe
because it’s healthy, quick to make, offers a fine, coarse texture, and is full of absurd amounts of flavor. Want to know the secret of a perfectly delicious sauce? See the full card of the best homemade
sauce recipe below!
The secret to the best sauce recipe
Sometimes sauce made with fresh ingredients can taste superficial… Lack of depth. Whereas, sauce made with canned ingredients can only have a store-bought flavor.
I think you need fresh, canned ingredients to make the best homemade sauce recipe.
Here’s everything you need to make the most delicious sauce easily at home:
- Ripe tomatoes – heartless and diced, no peeling necessary!
- Red onion
- garlic cloves
- peeled jalapenos – destemmed and seeded
- Fresh lemon juice
- Ground cumin
- Sugar – optional. Sometimes tomatoes need a little boost to balance the acidity.
- Crushed canned San Marzano tomatoes Cued
- green chilies: your choice of soft, medium or hot
peeled and quartered –
How to make sauce
- Prepare the vegetables and add them to your food processor along with lemon juice and seasonings. Chop to a fine degree.
- Next, add the canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes and green chiles and puree again until almost soft. Canned tomatoes provide a rustic essence and sweetness that accentuates fresh produce, while canned green chiles deliver a smoky quality that fresh peppers lack.
- Add more cumin and salt to taste, and refrigerate until cool and ready to enjoy.
You’ll taste bright spicy notes of fresh garden tomatoes, high-pitched notes of onion and garlic, herbs and spices, and complexity of “secret ingredient” canned items all rolled into one!
Pour this tasty sauce over eggs, in your favorite Mexican dishes, or simply pick it with chips or fresh vegetables.
You’ll love this recipe for game day, meals, parties, or just keep it in the fridge for any time you need a spicy snack!
Is this hot sauce recipe?
Yes, this recipe has a sparkle, but, if you’re sensitive to hot heat, you can adjust the best homemade salsa recipe by adding fewer jalapeños and making sure you buy the mild canned green chiles.
Or if you prefer to take the heat to a higher level, try adding habanero or serrano peppers!
How long will the homemade sauce last?
This sauce will keep well for 10-12 days if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure you don’t let it sit for too long (more than an hour or so) at room temperature between keeping it cool in the fridge.
You can also freeze this homemade sauce for up to 4 months by putting it in a freezer-safe container and then wrapping it with aluminum foil.
Looking for more delicious salsa recipes?
- Grilled Chipotle Peach Sauce Tomatillo
- Recipe (Video)
- Candied Bacon Corn
- Habanero Strawberry
- Homemade Al Pastor
Avocado Sauce Green Sauce
Disclosure: A spicy perspective participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Share this recipe with friends!