Instant Pot Ropa Vieja (Cuban Beef) – Recipes From A Pantry
Ropa Vieja is one of those dishes that is ideal for the Instant Pot. Made to stretch leftover meat, the traditional cooking method involves stewing beef for hours in tomatoes and broth until tender.
But with the Instant Pot, making this delicious meal is no longer a matter of the day. Yes, pressure cooking gives you super tender and tasty meat in just a fraction of the time of the traditional recipe.
And folks, this Instant Pot recipe will not only save time, but also save money. This is because this version uses skirt steak instead of the traditional flank steak. And while the taste of both cuts is very similar, skirt steak generally costs less per pound. Talk about a #winwin! As easy as this Instant Pot Chicken Adobo and Hearty Instant Pot Beef Stew.
What is Ropa Vieja?
This Cuban-style shredded meat dish is made by cooking beef along with garlic, onions, peppers, tomato sauce and adding some spices and green olives.
The name ropa vieja translates to “ropa vieja” And it was given to this dish because of the fibrous appearance of the shredded meat. Luckily, this dish is incredibly tasty and doesn’t taste anything like ropa vieja. 😉
<img src="https://recipesfromapantry.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/RFAP-INSTANT-POT-QUICK-START-GUIDE-BANNER-768×356.jpeg" alt="
Why you’ll ♡ save
- time – Put dinner on the table quickly. This Instant Pot Ropa Vieja cooks much faster than our slow cooker version.
- Saving money: Skirt steak is cheaper than traditional flank steak, and you won’t even notice the difference.
- Tasty and comforting: This meal is perfect for a night when you need a comfort meal that doesn’t take hours to prepare.
- An impressive instant pot
- The best Instant Pot accessories
- A sharp knife
- Cutting board.
- Practical cups and spoons Measuring.
- A slow cooker if you want to cook it slowly.
- The best sea salt flakes.
- Meal preparation containers to store leftovers.
Ready to make this delicious Cuban beef stew? Gather these ingredients and I’ll show you…
How to make Instant Pot Cuban Ropa Vieja
Get the full ingredient list and recipe card instructions below.
- Put the Instant Pot to sauté and add the oil. Brown the meat on both sides, then set aside. Sauté the onion and peppers for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, paprika, ground cumin and bay leaf and turn off the heat.
- Deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot insert with the white wine, then add the tomato sauce and meat broth before returning the meat to the pot.
- Seal and cook under high pressure for 37 minutes. When finished, allow a natural pressure release.
- Remove the meat and crumble with a fork before returning it to the instant pot and adding the olives and lemon juice.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and serve.
- Please note that the stated cooking time does not include the time for the instant pot to increase the pressure or for the pressure to be released.
- you can use white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice to deglaze the instant insert of the pot
- My favorite way to serve this is with rice and fried plantains. Cabbage salad, black beans, and sliced avocado are also great choices.
- Serve leftovers on a roll for a delicious Cuban-style sandwich.
Instead of white wine,
- Season – Substitute some or all of the red pepper for your favorite hot pepper
- Brighten it up – Add some fresh cilantro for a splash of color and a bright flavor
- Brine: If you like the taste of olives, consider adding some capers as well. It is traditional and adds a touch of flavor.
- Smoke: For a touch of smoke, add a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Make Ahead and
- Make Ahead – The flavors of the Ropa Vieja instant cooker intensify over time, so I prefer to make this recipe ahead of time and simply reheat it when you’re ready to serve it.
- Store leftovers on a well-covered plate for up to 5 days.
- Freeze – This dish freezes reasonably well. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to a resealable bag or freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or stove before eating.
<img src="https://recipesfromapantry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Instant-Pot-Ropa-Vieja-Ingredients-Labels-768×512.png" alt="
- suggestions Fried bananas
- Air banana fryer
- Instant rice
- Black beans.
- Sweet Potato Instant Pot.
More instant pot recipes You might like
- Chicken Adobo
- Easy Instant Pot curry chicken
- Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches.
- Instant meat stew.
There are 7 Blue Plan SmartPoints in a portion of this
Thank you for reading my post of the Cuban Style Old Clothes recipe. And please come visit me again as I continue to cut, dice and dream of affordable Air Freider recipes, instant pot recipes, southern recipes and more. Thank you for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.