7 Homemade Dog Food Recipes To Treat Your Furkids
They say dogs are a man’s best friend, and we couldn’t agree more. They are fiercely loyal and bathe their owners with affection every day. And in return, all dog parents want is to keep their precious puppies happy and healthy for as long as possible.
When it comes to maintaining your dog’s health, diet is crucial. While commercially made pet foods may contain preservatives and additives, homemade dog food means you can control every ingredient that enters your puppy’s tummy. To get you started, here are seven homemade dog food recipes to fill your dog with natural wonders!
What can you NOT put in homemade dog food?
Before you put on an apron and start preparing dishes for your dog, here are some important tips according to Union Lake Veterinary Hospital to take note of when preparing homemade dog food recipes. Also be sure to monitor your dog for any health issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, or allergies, and take him to the vet once you notice any signs of discomfort.
What not to do Add foods high in protein, fat, and carbohydrates Consider chicken, turkey, seafood, and eggs that are high in
- protein, and grains and vegetables that are high in carbohydrates
- Take note of what is toxic to dogs. For example: chocolate, grapes, raisins, garlic, onions, avocados and macadamia nuts
- These may be some of our favorite foods, but feeding our puppies will make them sick
- Check for unsafe ingredients when using store-bought products
- For example, when buying peanut butter, make sure it does not contain xylitol
- processed when preparing dog food recipes because of the additives it contains
- Use whole, unprocessed foods instead
- Feed your dogs dairy products or ingredients like eggshells as they are rich in calcium
- To make it, dry it thoroughly and grind it into a fine powder. Then, add about 11/2 teaspoon to 450 g of food.
- Do not modify the homemade dog food recipe and use aga-ration (estimation) while preparing food
- This can alter the nutritional profile of the final dish
- However, always check the recommended servings according to your dog’s specific weight
for your dog
Easy homemade dog food recipes
1. Homemade recipe for turkey and vegetable dog food
While vegetables and fruits are staples in our diet, they aren’t necessarily for our dogs. Why? Dogs are carnivores and receive protein and fat nutrition to stay healthy. However, that doesn’t mean your puppy won’t benefit from an occasional meal that’s full of vegetables. Having some vegetables in the dog bowl can help increase your fiber intake, which can promote better digestion. Vegetables like spinach and carrots are also rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to support healthy growth. Plus, they’re an excellent source of water to ensure your puppy stays hydrated throughout the day.
Preparation time: 10 minutes CookTime: 45 minutesServings: 8 servings
You will need
: 1 1/2 cups brown rice 1
- tablespoon olive oil
- ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- carrots, grated
- zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
How to do:
- Cook brown rice and set aside
- Heat the Royal Miller extra virgin olive oil (available at the official Lim Siang Huat store) in the woody pot Carote Essential (available at the official Carote store) over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and divide it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Cook the turkey for about 5 minutes until it turns brown, then add all the vegetables and brown rice. Cook for another 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Let the mixture cool completely before serving it to your puppy! You can freeze the excess and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds when it is ready to serve again.
Homemade dog food recipe
Missing from the kitchen department? Here’s a little secret: you don’t really need to be a MasterChef to prepare a delicious homemade dog food for the furry! This homemade dog food recipe is incredibly easy to recreate, all you need is a slow cooker. It is also nutritious and includes beans that are beneficial to your dog’s heart health and helps regulate his blood sugar levels.
Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 6 hours (3 hours if cooked over high heat)Servings: 12 servings
You will need
- 1.2kg ground beef
- 450g organic beans
- carrots, chopped 1/2 cup
- peas, frozen
1 2/2 cups brown rice
1 1/2 cups pumpkin, chopped 1 1/2
How to do:
- Add ground beef, carrots, peas, pumpkin, SongHe brown jasmine rice, and Origins organic red kidney beans (both available at Shopee Supermarket) to Cornell’s electric slow cooker (available at the official Cornell Singapore store). Use organic beans instead of canned beans to avoid adding additional seasonings or ingredients that may be harmful to dogs. Add four cups of water to the mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker and simmer the mixture for six hours, stirring occasionally. This step is great for working pet owners, as you can simply keep the cooker slow while you head to work and return home for a delicious meal for your dog. Alternatively, you can choose to cook the mixture over high heat for three hours.
- Let the food cool completely before storing it in the freezer.
Chicken Soup Dog Food Recipe
It’s raining outside and your dog has run to hide under the bed again because of the roaring thunder. What can you do to make your puppy feel better? Soothe your exhausted nerves with a hot bowl of chicken soup with barley! Not only will this bowl of creamy soup warm up your dog and calm his nerves, but it’s also a great source of protein. This recipe also contains barley that is low in cholesterol and high in fiber. This homemade dog food recipe is also good for days when your dog has a bad stomach and needs something easy to eat.
Preparation time: 20 minutesCooking time: 65 minutesServings: 12 bowls
You will need:
- slices chicken breasts
- 8 cups water
- tablespoon extra light olive oil
- tablespoons parsley
- ground eggshells
- small green peppers
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup barley, soaked
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon basil 2
, chopped 1 cup celery, chopped
How to make:
- Place chicken breasts (available at the official GrocerKing store) in the pot with water and olive oil (available at Shopee Supermarket). Cook chicken over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Prepare the chicken by removing the bones or skin. Then, crush it into small pieces separating the meat with two forks and set aside.
- Remove the fat from the top of the broth in the pot. Add ground eggshells, all seasonings, chopped vegetables, and barley (available at Shopee Supermarket) into the pot. Cover the pot and let the broth simmer for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the barley is well cooked.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Let the soup cool before serving.
Pro tip: You can freeze excess soup in ice cube trays. Store the cubes in a reusable silicone sandwich bag (available from Trippy Travelers) and put them in the freezer for future use!
4. Homemade salmon and sweet potato
Salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, potassium, antioxidants, and more, making it a surefire way to improve your furry baby’s diet. Not only has it been shown to help prevent heart disease, but it also promotes healthy skin. Salmon pairs perfectly with sweet potato, making it a delicious homemade dog treat full of vitamins.
When preparing salmon for your dog, be sure to choose each bone before cooking. It is also recommended to limit this fish to no more than once a week. Also, be sure to cook salmon thoroughly, as they may contain parasites that can cause food poisoning.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutesServings: varies You will need: 1 serving of salmon (your dog can eat 10 g of salmon for every 450 g they weigh) 1 teaspoon coconut oil 2 small sweet potatoes, puree 1 head of broccoli with stem, chopped How to do:
- Boil the sweet potato for 10 minutes until soft and tender and crush with a fork
- Steam chopped broccoli for 10 minutes
- Heat Naturel organic extra virgin coconut oil (available at Shopee Supermarket) in a skillet over medium heat and place the salmon (available at the official Dish The Fish store) over it. Cook for about 8-10 minutes and check that the salmon is well done.
- Let the homemade dog treat cool for 10-15 minutes before giving it to your puppy!
Easy recipes of homemade treats for dogs
5 Homemade recipe for
dog treats with peanut butter
Every pet owner knows: dog food and treats aren’t cheap. So if you’re looking to save some money while keeping an eye on things that go into your dog’s food, this homemade peanut butter recipe for dogs will be your alley! Pumpkin puree is used in this recipe to supply dietary fiber for your furry friend that can relieve constipation and diarrhea. The oils found in pumpkin meat are also believed to support your pet’s urinary health!
20 minutesCook Time: 65 minutesServings: Varies
: 1/3 cup
- pumpkin puree 1/
- 4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
How to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using the paddle accessory on your Aztech silvertone foot mixer (available at Kyla by Aztech Official Store), whisk the pumpkin puree, Biona Organic unsalted peanut butter (available at Shopee Supermarket) and eggs on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes until everything is well combined. Gradually pour 2 1/2 cups of flour on low speed and whisk until incorporated into the dough. Add 1/4 cup of additional flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Lightly flour the kitchen counter before kneading the dough about four times until everything comes together. Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick with the ANAEAT silicone nonstick roller (available at the official Anaeat store).
- Using a cookie cutter of your choice, cut the dough and place it on the baking sheet you prepared in the first step
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until the edges of the treats appear golden. Let the treats cool completely before rewarding your furry friend for being such a patient puppy!
6. Homemade Egg
and Brown Rice Dog Food Recipe
For a treat full of nutrients but hassle-free, this homemade egg and brown rice dog food recipe will do the trick! Although dogs are carnivores, grains and eggs can be part of their diet. Eggs are rich in protein and fatty acids, while brown rice contains large amounts of fiber, which is especially helpful if your dog has digestive issues. This recipe also contains brewer’s yeast, which is a supplement rich in B vitamins. It can promote healthier eyes, skin, and coat, and improve liver function too!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutesServings: varies
- large egg, smoothie
- apple sauce
- brown rice, cooked
- (pumpkin, zucchini, peas, or carrots)
- /2 tablespoon brewer’s yeast
1 cup vegetables
How to make:
- Steam 1 cup vegetables of your choice for 10 minutes
- Add the beaten egg, apple sauce (available at Shopee Supermarket), cooked brown rice, vegetables, and brewer’s yeast (available at the official Green Earth Organic SG store) in a bowl and mix well.
- Grease a cookie tray (available from Brund by SCANPAN Official Store) and divide the mixture into balls, with about 2 cm of space between them
- baked in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes
- Let cool before serving
birthday cake recipe for dogs without flour
Celebrating your canine companion’s birthday? Try baking a birthday dog cake for this special occasion! Here’s a simple recipe that even newbies to bake will be able to master. Plus, all you need are four ingredients: sweet potatoes, brown rice, yogurt, and peanut butter.
Pro tip: Only use unsweetened yogurt without artificial ingredients when preparing this homemade dog cake recipe.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutesServings: 2 servings
You will need
- sweet potato
- /3 cup cooked brown rice
- tablespoon raw, unsalted peanut butter 1 tablespoon
- unsweetened plain Greek yogurt
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Bake sweet potato in the oven for 45
- Once done, mash the sweet potato with a fork and add 1 tablespoon of unsalted peanut butter (available at the official Optimofoods store)
- Add the cooked brown rice and stir to combine
- Place the mixture on a plate and pat to form the shape of a
- Let it cool in the fridge for 15 minutes
- Frost the cake with 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt ( available on SgPrimeMart).
to the mixture
Change your dog’s menu with these homemade dog food recipes In addition to controlling your dog’s diet
with these homemade dog food recipes
, it’s equally important to keep his coat clean and tidy! Check out the best pet grooming places in Singapore to take your furry child for a cut or a well-deserved spa treatment. Do you have a feline friend at home too? Check out these homemade cat food recipes you can try for your cat.
For exclusive deals on everything from food to toys, join the Shopee Pawrents Club, where you can earn monthly coupons and participate in exclusive member giveaways.