How Much Does Scooter Insurance Cost? Here&039s The Average
Whether you have a moped, vespa or turino, having adequate scooter insurance is essential. Not only will this coverage protect you and your bank account if you’re injured or in an accident, but in many cases, it’s required by law.
Usually scooter insurance falls under the umbrella of motorcycle insurance. When shopping for coverage, you’ll want to consider average costs (shown in the table below), as well as the various factors that can influence those costs. Fortunately, as outlined below, there are discounts you can use to lower those costs.
Looking for insurance coverage for your moped or scooter? Use this guide to learn about the average cost of scooter insurance, commonly offered discounts you might be eligible for, and the various factors that can affect your premiums.
on this page:
- what is the average cost of scooter insurance?
- how the type of insurance coverage you select affects costs
- other factors influencing moped or scooter insurance costs
- how to reduce the cost of your scooter insurance
- Where can I compare scooter insurance?
what is the average cost of scooter insurance?
Our research shows that the average scooter insurance costs about $50.10 per month for basic coverage and $115.78 per month for enhanced coverage. however, prices vary by carrier and our quotes ranged from $31.67 (progressive) to $56.58 (national) for basic coverage.
To obtain our quotes, we use the following data:
- driver: single, 25-year-old female, no accidents in the last five years (employee, has valid motorcycle license issued 1/2018, no off-road safety course , you are not a member of any organization)
- location: houston, texas (tenant, 409 travis street, apt. 2704, 77002)
- vehicle: 2019 vespa gt200 granturismo (purchased new Jan 2019, wholly owned, new price $10,500, no custom parts, used for pleasure, 1000 miles per year)
Here’s how scooter and moped insurance costs vary by company:
note: the above quotes vary by level of coverage. we included quotes that closely followed the basic and enhanced policies described in the section below. *quotes displayed included automatically added discounts.
how the type of insurance coverage you select affects your costs
The cost of scooter insurance increases as you add coverage and expand the limits of that coverage. policies with lower deductibles also have higher premium costs.
The following allstate plan options demonstrate this, with the Basic insurance policy offering the least amount of coverage and the Enhanced (the most expensive option) offering significantly more coverage per accident.
If you’re looking for scooter insurance, it’s important to get the right coverage at a price you can afford. Comparing prices can help you do this, as premiums can vary significantly from company to company. Adjusting your coverage amounts can also help.
but these two factors are not the only ones that affect the quoted premiums. various other elements also play a role, and we’ll break them down below.
other factors affecting moped or scooter insurance costs?
Coverage and insurer aren’t the only things that can influence the rate you get on your scooter insurance policy.
When you apply, companies will also consider the following factors when setting your rate:
- Your location: Where you live is important for several reasons. First, there may be certain levels of coverage that your state requires, so this could affect your policy and your overall cost. In addition, your location also influences your risk. Is there a lot of carjacking or theft? Is crime high in the area? Are road accidents common? These are all things that can mean a higher premium when the insurer verifies your zip code.
- Age: Your age (as well as how old you were when you got your license) will also matter. younger and newer drivers generally cost more to cover.
- Driving History: Your history of accidents and moving violations can also affect your premium. the cleaner your record, the lower your rates.
- your scooter: The type of scooter you have (specifically its make, model, age, and cost to replace it) will also be a big factor in your costs. newer, more expensive models tend to cost more to insure.
- How do you use the scooter: Is your scooter only used occasionally for pleasure or will you take it to work every morning? the more you use it, the more you pay for insurance.
- Automatic Payment: Having your payment automatically deducted from your bank account each month will often qualify you for a discount.
- good passenger: If you have a clean driving record or go a certain amount of time without a claim or accident, you may get a discount on your premium.
- combined policies: Many insurers offer discounts if you have multiple policies with them (scooter, car, home, etc.) or if you insure multiple scooters/motorcycles.
- Safety Course Completion: Usually, insurers will reward you with a safety course discount if you complete a verified course.
- renewals and changes: if you change from another provider or renew your coverage, you can also get a discount.
- home ownership: buying a house soon? might also qualify you for a discount.
Many factors can affect your insurance premiums, so if you’re not happy with a quote you’ve received, try adjusting your position in some of the categories above. we’ll break down some strategies for doing this in the following sections.
how to lower the cost of your scooter insurance
In addition to reducing your coverage, to reduce the cost of your scooter insurance, you have two options: take advantage of a discount offered by your operator, or reduce your perceived risk in one of the categories mentioned above.
scooter insurance discounts
Insurers offer a wide range of discounts, which can help lower the cost of your annual premiums.
Exact discounts vary by company, but here are some of the most common:
Many insurers also have associations with specific organizations (like the Harley Owners Group, for example). If you’re a member of one of these qualified groups, it could mean savings on your policy.
improve your position with factors that influence policy costs
You can also reduce the risk you present to the insurer, as this could lower your rate. To do this, look at the factors that can affect your rate listed above and find ways to change your position in those categories. That could mean being a safer driver and avoiding an accident, or it could mean using your scooter less or buying a lower cost model.
where can i compare scooter insurance?
As you can see, the cost of scooter insurance varies. Although it generally ranges from $50.10 to $115.78, several other factors can play a role in its price. To make sure you get the best deal, be sure to shop around and consider multiple companies.
With the right coverages and discounts, you can find scooter or moped insurance at an affordable price.