How Do I Start My Flood Claim? | FEMA.gov

english: how do I file my flood insurance claim?

This page explains the claims process and steps to take when starting your National Flood Insurance Program flood insurance claim and working with your adjuster and agent. the more you know, the easier the process will be.

Reading: How to claim flood insurance

More information about the claims process is available in these printable and shareable products, Starting Your Recovery: The FEMA Flood Insurance Claims Process and How to File a Claim (Infographic).

the flood insurance claims process

Step 1: Contact your insurance agent or company to report your flood loss. your flood insurance policy requires you to immediately notify us in writing of your loss. Your adjuster will typically contact you within 24-48 hours of filing your claim. however, depending on local conditions and the severity of the flood, it may take longer. When reporting the claim, ask about getting an advance payment to help you get started on your recovery. advance payments are deducted from the final claim payment.

How do I contact my insurance company? Find your insurance company’s toll-free number. If you need help finding your insurance company, call the NFIP Call Center at 1-800-427-4661. Representatives at the call center can tell you who your insurance provider is and how to contact them if you’re unsure, as well as answer any other questions you may have.Hurricane Florence Information

Please be ready to provide this information when you file your claim:

  • the name of your insurance company;
  • your policy number; and
  • a phone number and/or email address where you can be reached.
  • the name of any mortgage company (applicable if the insured property is mortgaged)
  • See also: 12 Ways to Lower Your Homeowners Insurance Costs | III

    Step 2: Prepare for your inspectionBefore you enter, make sure it is safe to re-enter the building. Take photos and videos of the damaged property, including items you plan to dispose of. As much as possible, your photos and videos should document structural damage; standing water levels (both inside and outside); and damage to appliances, furniture, and other items before moving, removing, or disposing of anything. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

    • For items like washers and dryers, water heaters, kitchen appliances, televisions, and computers, be sure to take a picture of the make, model, and serial number.
    • For your building items, save a few swatches (swatches) and also photograph items like water-damaged carpet (and other flooring), wallpaper, and draperies before you throw them away so you can show them to your adjuster during inspection.
    • After photographing, immediately dispose of items with flooded contents that pose a health risk, such as perishable food, clothing, cushions, pillows, etc.
    • Contact repair services if the building’s electrical, water, or HVAC systems are damaged. It is important to consult your adjuster or insurance company before signing any agreement/contract with a cleanup, remediation, or maintenance contractor.
    • Contact your community building department and floodplain manager for information on:
      • whether your property sustained significant damage;
      • tips on how to best protect or repair your home; and
      • obtaining a building permit. this is a very important thing to build or repair according to local ordinances.
      • Note: Flood loss prevention is a protective measure you take to minimize flood damage and loss to your buildings and personal property before a flood occurs. so talk to your claims adjuster about whether you took steps to prevent losses. National Flood Insurance Program policies will cover up to $1,000 in reasonable expenses incurred to protect your insured property and up to $1,000 to move your insured property away from a flood or imminent danger of flooding.

        Step 3: Work with your adjusterWhen your claims adjuster arrives, you should show them your official identification (driver’s license and company ID or flood control number [fcn card]). They must also provide you with their contact information, such as their name, email, phone number, and their adjusting company’s name and phone number. when meeting with you, your adjuster should cover the following:

        • an explanation of the nfip flood claims process.
        • an inspection of your property, during which you will assess your loss by taking measurements and taking photographs.
        • an explanation of what an advance payment is and how or if you can get one.
        • information on how to present your loss to your insurance company and a discussion of your policy coverage.
        • other things you should know, do or discuss with your adjuster:


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button