Leftover Chicken Recipes Instant Pot – The Typical Mom
Instant Pot-style leftover chicken recipes are best. DO NOT waste food, instead turn it into a second meal from a pot in your pressure cooker tonight. Any pressure cooker, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi will work for these.
Instant leftover chicken recipe
This was a meal prepared one night when I had made chicken sauce the night before, and I had a few cups left over. He was too good to throw away, so I looked to see what he had that would taste good with him. I like Ninja Foodi’s quick and easy recipes. Or use a Crockpot Express, the brand doesn’t matter.
On our recipe card below you will see instructions for the Mexican casserole-style dish of black beans, corn and rice that you see here. Then I will list many others above that you can try if you have leftovers. Really any kind of diced or shredded chicken or beef works with them.
Ninja Foodi Leftover
This works if you’ve eaten part of a roast chicken but have something left over the next day. Did you make boiled shredded chicken but didn’t eat it all? Use it too, as long as it is precooked, you can throw it away using the measurements below.
This is what I had in the closet that I thought would go well together. The most important aspect of this is the ratio of liquid to grains. As for vegetables, you could leave that can if you didn’t want to include corn, but it brings great texture to the dish.
- Chopped precooked meat
- corn kernels
- A can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sauce, medium is best to add as much flavor as possible
- Chicken broth and water, or use only one of the two, but stick with the same amount listed below
- Raw white rice
Can of drained
We added a lot of cheese to this too, But if you needed a dairy-free product option that you could leave out of place. As for the seasonings, I sprinkled salt and pepper and then added more when it was ready. Depending on how seasoned your meat is, you may need less or more.
You’re going to use about 2 cups of meat for this. This should be measured after it has been cut into smaller pieces. You wouldn’t add much more than that or else there won’t be enough liquid for starches to absorb them.
- You’ll start by putting your leftover chicken breast (or thighs) in the pressure cooker at the bottom. Then drain your corn can and pour this.
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Dump that on top. Sprinkle the raw white rice on top (I haven’t tried brown rice yet).
- Pour liquids followed by the sauce. Use the back of a spoon to gently dip the rice on top in liquid underneath, DO NOT stir.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and any other seasoning you like. Close the lid and seal the steam valve. Cook in a high-pressure manual cooking for 6 minutes of cooking time with a natural release of 8 minutes. Do not release it quickly or the rice will not be made.
- Lift the lid, fluff the rice and mix the contents gently. Sprinkle the top with cheese and put the lid on to melt.
I add an extra layer of grated cheese to the top of each serving. A slice or two of avocado is amazing and a tablespoon of sour cream after that is even better.
This is just one of the many leftover chicken recipes we have on our blog. Our favorite is probably our Instant Pot chicken thighs and rice.
I have shared so many because my mother never let food go to waste. It was very common for us to have casserole recipes to eat because of this. Add in some vegetables, and whether it’s rice or pasta and voila, you have a new meal. 😉
We have some other ideas you can try too that we know you’ll like this Instant Pot fajita soup recipe. This one could easily use shredded meat instead if that’s what you have on hand. Then comes the soup, I probably make one of these more than anything else because they come out so well.
- During the winter months I love
- Add tons of vegetables to the Instant Pot chicken vegetable soup for a really cheap and healthy meal
- grew up with chicken casserole and rice, but now I do it in a pressure cooker to get things done even faster.
- If you want to do this, but with noodles instead of rice follow our Mexican pressure cooker casserole here.
the Instant Pot chicken pie soup or the Instant Pot buffalo chicken sauce.
Another with pasta is the Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole dish. Do you want to make an unusual dish that children will love? Give the chicken a twist with Instant Pot peanut butter some night. Just find one of the many IP recipes on my blog with this white meat and skip the initial stir-fry feature, as it’s already basically cooked!
that use leftover chicken don’t have to be boring! I mean, yes, you can throw it on top of a salad or make some boring egg noodles and serve them as a side dish, but there are so many pressure cooker chicken recipes to choose from here.
What to do with leftovers? This is different from what I do with the “regular” dishes that all fresh meats use. Since the proteins were already saved and refrigerated once, and then reheated to do this, I will not normally save what’s left. I guess 1 day would be fine to store in a container in the fridge and reheat, but I choose not to.
When storing your meat initially, you should always make sure to package it once it is at room temperature and use it in one of these ways within 3 days of its initial cooking. You want to store it the right way so that there is no chance of bacterial growth.
Give one or more of our home cooked food ideas here and let us know what you think! Do you have a favorite you stick with regularly that we should try? I bet you have one in mind that your family asks for over and over again as well. Let me know in the comments below or send me an email. 😉