Chicago Style Italian Beef Recipe (Slow Cooker and Instant Pot
If you like a classic Chicago Italian beef sandwich, you’ll fall in love with Easy Instant Pot Italian Beef! With just a few ingredients, it cooks quickly in its pressure cooker and makes the BEST au jus sauce. (I’ve also included instructions for making this simple recipe in your slow cooker.)
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
This easy Italian beef recipe is prepared quickly, uses only simple ingredients, tastes best, and is the perfect meal for busy nights of the week.
Plus, by using the Italian seasoning dressing packages, it eliminates the need to measure a bunch of spices, making it one of my favorite easy weekday dinners.
It’s also a great meal to serve when you need a main course to serve to a crowd, such as a shared meal or family gathering. Plus, it’s one of the best Italian beef sauces I’ve ever had!
What makes Italian beef “Chicago style”?
A traditional Chicago-style Italian beef sandwich, dating back to the 1930s, contains thin slices of carne asada (although I think this shredded version is just as delicious and easier to serve!).
It is simmered and served au jus on Italian-style delicatessen rolls. The meat is topped with a mixture of giardiniera or sautéed with Italian sweet peppers. Often topped with a slice of provolone cheese, the sandwiches are dipped in the delicious au jus created as the roast beef simmers.
What is an Italian beef sandwich recipe vs French sauce sandwiches?
is usually a roasted cut of beef seasoned with herbs, spices, and picked vegetables. A French Dip recipe usually involves thinly sliced premium ribs that have been stewed in broth. Both make great sandwiches and are amazing served with a side of your favorite au jus recipe.
What you’ll need to make it easy Instant Pot
Italian beef 3 pounds roasted beef,
- cut into pieces
- 3 cups
- packets Italian dressing (dry mix)
- Jar of your favorite giardiniera
beef broth or beef broth 2
Optional items for making Italian beef sandwiches
- Rolls Italian roll
- Provolone Cheese, Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese Red onions
- Green peppers
- Pepperoncini peppers
How to make
Instant Pot Italian meat recipe
Start by placing the pieces of meat in your Instant Pot and pouring 1/4 cup of giardiniera brine over the meat
Next, mix the meat broth and Italian seasoning dressing packets in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook over high heat until the broth begins to boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Pour the broth mixture over the pieces of meat.
Put your Instant Pot under high pressure and set the cooking time to 60 minutes.
When the cooking time is over, allow the pressure cooker to perform a natural release for about 15 minutes. (After 15 minutes, you can manually release any remaining pressure.)
Shred the beef, storing the broth in your Instant Pot.
You can simply cover the shredded meat with giardiniera and serve. I like to fill an Italian-style crispy roll with the shredded meat and top it with a slice of provolone cheese and a tablespoon of mustard. Serve with a side of au jus for dipping.
How to Make Italian Meat in Your Slow Cooker
You can easily turn this delicious recipe to make into your clay pot. I like to use my crockpot to make these delicious sandwiches when we don’t have an exact time for dinner and I know people will be eating all day long. This simple dish is perfect for game day, a shared meal or a family event.
- Start by placing the pieces of meat at the bottom of your slow cooker and pouring 1/4 cup of giardiniera brine over
- Next, mix the meat broth and dry Italian salad dressing mix in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat until the broth begins to boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the broth mixture over the pieces of meat.
- Simmer for 10-12 hours or over high heat for 4-5 hours.
What can I do with leftovers?
Leftover Italian beef roast can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
One of my favorite ways to use leftovers is by making “Italian beef pizzas”
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Take a pre-made pizza crust, flatbread, or piece of naan bread and spread a layer of leftover meat on top of it
- ingredients: Chicago-style giardiniera, Red peppers, green peppers, onions, hot peppers, banana peppers and pepperoncini are great options Top with your choice
- Bake for about 10 minutes until it’s hot and the cheese has melted
Top with your choice of
side dishes for
Italian meat sandwiches Here are some delicious side dishes to serve along with this delicious main course:
- Brussels sprouts
- Onion rings
- beans topped with breadcrumbs
- Crispy Italian
- Spicy cucumber salad Sweet potato chips
- A simple green salad
- Best broccoli Cauliflower bacon salad Green
- Roasted vegetables
- Za’atar and roast rice Vegetables
- Broccoli salad Picnic
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Farro Italian salad
- You can also
salad Potato salad
Italian pasta salad
salad Cauliflower salad
visit the deli section of your local supermarket to find pre-made Italian side dishes to serve along with these tender meat sandwiches.
instant pot recipes you’ll love!
- The Wedest Instant Whole Chicken of All Time
- Cozy and Comforting
- Cabbage Meal
- Too Good to Be True Instant Pot Balsamic Pork
- with Orzo – Quick
- Tri-Tip Roast
- Quick & Easy Instant Pot Beef Pepper Steak
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- The Easiest Instant Crab Paws Recipe
Instant Beef Stew Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef &
Instant Friendly Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Roast Greek Chicken
Instant Pot Recipe Pot Roast Sandwich – Easy Instant Pot Recipe Super Easy Instant Pot