How to Cook Lobster Tail – Easy Peasy Meals – Eazy Peazy Mealz
Lobster: How to cook lobster tail
This is the ultimate guide to cooking lobster at home, from buying and cleaning, to butter flying and preparing. Post includes our favorite recipe for tasty and buttery lobster that you will not be able to get enough of.
For this post I took the exact same buttery lobster recipe with garlic and prepared it using different methods. And let me tell you, my family was very happy with the recipe tests for lobster tails. And the results were a lot of fun!
Lobster is rich, creamy, delicious and tasty, and one of the most delicious things you can eat. And lobster tail is the sweetest part with the most meat, so it’s no surprise that it’s what pops up most often on menus.
However, lobster is also expensive. Doing it at home is easy and cost-effective. But lobster still costs more per pound than chicken. Which means you need to make sure you prepare it correctly and not waste your money. There are several different ways to prepare it. It can be baked, roasted, grilled, steamed, pressure cooked, and even boiled. So what’s the best way to cook a lobster tail?
Let’s take a look at all the ways to cook lobster and what you should know about each. There is only one way to ruin a good lobster tail and that is to overcook it! So let’s cover how to find a good lobster tail, how to thaw it, butterfly and clean it, and the various methods of cooking lobster tail so you can become an expert at cooking lobster at home.
Before you start cooking lobster, you need to buy and prepare it. All great dishes start with great ingredients, so let’s see how to buy the perfect lobster tail.
If you’re cooking
lobster tail, chances are
you’re cooking for a special occasion, and it would be a shame if your lobster becomes mushy, or hard, or has a bad taste or smell. Which means that the first step to cooking lobster is to choose a good tail to cook. I have created a complete guide on how to buy lobster tail that you can find here: Lobster tail buying guide.
While I have a complete guide, here are the top things you need to know. Most of the lobster tail available in grocery stores will come frozen. When buying frozen lobster tail, there are three main things you should look for or know: Is lobster tail
- water or cold water lobster? It is best to choose cold water.
- The size of the tail. The optimal size is 5-12 ounces for flavor and tenderness.
- Has the tail been “glazed” or soaked in sodium trypeaphosphate before freezing? These are processes used to preserve lobster tail, but they can add extra weight of water and are not ideal. Avoid when possible.
Truth be told, unless you’re shopping at a high-end grocery store or a specialty fish store, your chances of getting high-quality lobster tail are low. You’d better order your lobster online and have it shipped to you. But of course, don’t let this stop you. You can pick up lobster at your grocery store and make it at home and still make it come out great! Just be sure to take precautions.
<img src="https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/how-to-buy-lobster-tails-1.jpg" alt="A bundle of lobster with a sticker showing that they are cold water
lobster tails” />
Tips for buying lobster
- buying tails that have any discoloration in the meat: black or yellowish spots
- Avoid tails that have been soaked in sodium trypeaphosphate before freezing
- The tails should not have any grayish color.
- Buy frozen, avoid lobster tails already thawed, as they should be cooked immediately once thawed.
- Choose tails ranging from 5-12 ounces in size.
- Shop at a reputable store or fish counter.
- Buy cold water tails if they are available, they cost more, but are of better quality.
You can tell if your tails are made if the color of the meat changes from translucent to a white or opaque color
. If you use an instant-read thermometer,
you want an internal temperature of about 140°F
If you don’t have an instant-read thermometer, use a sharp knife to cut the thickest part of the tail meat. If it is completely white, without translucent or grayish color, then it is ready to serve. If there is that grayish color, cook a little more. But be careful not to overcook.
Note: the glues will continue to cook after removing them from the heat source, if you want to completely stop the cooking process, soak in an ice bath.
How to cook lobster
Whether you choose to bake, roast, poach, steam, grill, cooker in a pressure cooker or air fryer, you can’t go wrong with lobster! The following are basic instructions for each method of cooking lobster.
lobster One way to cook lobster and
avoid rubbery or hard tail meat is to bake it in butter and seasonings. Oh mmm!
Butterfly the lobster
- according to the instructions above.
- Clean and remove any intestinal veins, etc. if you haven’t already.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place prepared lobster tails on a baking sheet
- Brush with butter and seasonings of your choice.
- Bake for about 7 to 18 minutes (depending on tail weight) / until an instant-read thermometer reads 140-145 degrees. Don’t overcook.
- Remove from oven.
- Optional: Place under the grill for 1-2 minutes for a golden finish
Estimated cooking times
: S: 3-4 ounces,
7-8 minutes M: 5-6 ounces, 10-12 minutes. L: 7-9 ounces, 12-15 minutes XL: 9+ ounces, 15-18 minutes Bake until opaque and reaches a temperature of 140 degrees F.
Broil Lobster Broiling lobster
my favorite method, as it’s simple, and generally delicious, especially if you top with butter!
- Preheat oven grill over high heat, place the rack in the highest position unless cooking large lobster tails (9 ounces +), in whose case, place it at half height.
- Butterfly and clean lobster tails.
- Place it on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan with the side of the shell facing down.
- Brush the meat with butter and seasonings.
- Roast 4-5 inches of heat for about 1 minute per ounce. If you grill large tails, roast farther from the heat source Colas
- Baste with extra butter when you finish cooking.
Estimated roast times
: S: 3-4 ounces,
6-8 minutes M: 5-6 ounces, 10-11 minutes. L: 7-9 ounces, 12-15 minutes XL: 9+ ounces, 15-18 minutes Grilled lobster meat until opaque and white in the center, and/or 140°F.
To poach lobster you will start by boiling it, then add it
to butter to finish cooking in butter.
- Boil or blanch the tails (about 2-3 minutes, depending on the size) enough so that the meat can be removed from the
- Butterfly the lobster, but instead of placing on top of the shell, remove the meat in one piece
- Clean and remove the vein and any goop.
- Gently poach lobster meat in melted butter by gently simmering (DO NOT BOIL).
- When the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. remove and rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Estimated poaching time
S: 3-4 ounces, 3-5 minutes
M: 5-6 ounces, 6-8 minutes. L: 7-9 ounces, 11-12 minutes XL: 9+ ounces, 15 minutes
Note: It’s okay to carbonize the shell side of lobster tail, but be very careful not to carbonize the meat
. Butterfly and clean lobster tails according to the instructions above. Preheat grill over medium heat (350-375 degrees) Brush lobster
- with butter and seasonings
- Grease the grill or grid well.
- Cook the tails with the shell side on the rack until the shells turn red and the meat begins to change from translucent to opaque
- Turn the tail and grill on the meat side for only a couple of minutes
- Suffice with butter and finish by roasting the shell with the side down until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. Be careful of Do not overcook or the tails will be dry and rubbery.
Estimated grilling times
: 3-4 ounces,
4-5 minutes M: 5-6 ounces, 6-8 minutes. L:7-9 ounces, 8-11 minutes XL:9+ ounces, 10-12 minutes
Did you know that you can cook your lobster in your pressure cooker or instant cooker? You need a steam basket, but it’s a quick and efficient way to cook lobster tail. Also check out my guide to using the Instant Pot so you don’t end up accidentally seasoning the lobster with a smelly sealing ring, or ruining it by doing something wrong.
- Defrost: If frozen, allow lobster tails to thaw completely before preparation. While many instant pot recipes can be prepared from frozen, lobster is not one of them. It will result in hard and rubbery lobster.
- Butterfly and clean according to the instructions above
- (1 cup water 1 1/2 teaspoons salt) Add
- desired seasonings to the instant pot
- vaporizer basket so that it is partially closed and the opening is wide enough to place the lobster tails standing inside. Place the lobster
- the steamer basket, so they are standing inside
- Brush the lobster tails with melted butter and the seasoning of your choice
- fix it in place, set the vent to “seal” and cook the tails for 2 minutes at LOW pressure
- Quickly release the pressure and open the
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature and allow the lobster to sit in a pot and continue cooking until the temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- Serve and enjoy
Add salt water to the bottom of the instant pot
. Place the steam basket inside the instant pot. Adjust the
. Place the lid on the instant pot and
how I learned to cook lobster growing up, but found that sometimes all that water can mean less flavor in lobster meat, so this is my least favorite method unless I cook a larger
One of the
The easiest way to cook lobster tails is to boil them, this is particularly effective for large tails, as it promotes even cooking. However, I suggest just boiling and finishing cooking using another method, such as grilling or baking/roasting for better flavor.
- Bring a medium to large pot of water to a boil. Make sure the pot is large enough so that once the lobster tail is inserted, the water has room to circulate.
- boils, add the tails and allow the water to boil again.
- Once it boils again, lower the temperature and cook until ready.
- Remove the meat from the shell with kitchen scissors.
- Serve with butter and season after cooking.
Once the water
Estimated boiling times
6-7 ounces, 5-6 minutes. 8-10 ounces, 6-8 minutes 16-20 ounces, 10 minutes
20+ ounces, 10-12 minutes
tails Steaming lobster tails
highlight the bright reds of the shell and give a clean, tasty taste to the flesh of the cola. This is a quick method, and because you butterfly the tail before steaming, it’s easy to see and see when cooking is done.
- Butterfly and lobster cleaned according to the instructions above
- large pot with a lid, add 2 inches of water and place over medium-high heat
- Bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, add the lobster tails and cover with a lid. Or use a steaming rack with a lid.
- Steam until well cooked (internal temperature of 140 degrees)
- Serve with lemon and butter.
. In a
Estimated steaming times
6-7 ounces, 6-8 minutes. 8-10 ounces, 8-10 minutes
16+ ounces, 10-12 minutes
Air Fried Lobster
One of my favorite gadgets, the air fryer is making my life so much easier, and it even works for cooking lobster. The downside is not being able to see lobster tails, so it’s not known for sure how long it needs to cook. I always start with 4 minutes, then add more depending on the size of the tail. But in 6 minutes, you get a delicious lobster tail fully cooked. How amazing is that?
Preheat your air fryer to 380F
- Mariposa and clean the lobster tail according to the instructions above
- melted butter and season.
- Place the lobster tails in the air fryer basket and air to 380F for 4 minutes.
- Add more butter
- frying for an additional 2 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
. Brush the lobster with the
love lobster, and when I go out to eat, and visit a place like Red Lobster I don’t even look at the red lobster menu. I know, I want lobster, and usually roasted with a garlic butter sauce. But man, the price is high. And I have to ask what the market price is for lobster that day. So instead of the hassle and expense, I decided to learn how to make lobster myself. And not just prepare it, but explore all the different options to determine the best way to cook lobster tails, from buying them to serving them. My personal favorite is roasting it, but I suggest trying the different methods for yourself to determine which one you like best.
And don’t forget that lemon, clarified butter or melted butter, and a little salt and pepper go a long way in enhancing and highlighting the amazing flavors of lobster.
Lobster tail is the type of main dish that stands out on its own for flavor, meaning the sides should be kept fairly simple. My favorite side dishes to serve with
lobster tail are as follows:
- Best broccoli
- Roasted asparagus Crushed
- Scalloped potatoes
- Rice Pilaf
- Spinach Berry salad
Pin to your dinner board on Pinterest: