Carolina Slow Cooker Pulled Pork – Plating Pixels
Carolina Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with rich spices and a spicy broth, made tender in a slow cooker. This shredded pork in a slow cooker is simple and guaranteed tender and juicy. Try it on buns or served with side dishes or salad for an easy Southern recipe.
Easy slow cooker shredded pork
Within this post, you will learn how to make Carolina Style Slow Cooker Pulled Pork easy. Just a simple mix of spices and liquids plus a slow cooker to make authentic shredded Carolina pork. You can even cook overnight or while you’re at work.
Why You Should Make Shredded Pork in Slow Cooker
Slow cooking is one of the easiest ways to make shredded pork. Simply add all the ingredients, cover and cook. It is guaranteed tender, moist and tasty. It is literally shattered with a simple tug of a fork. Carolina Style Pulled Pork is a quintessential summer or cool weather recipe, and you can prepare it anytime in
a slow cooker
Ingredients for Carolina Pulled Pork
Most Carolina shredded pork recipes use the following ingredients. The key is to have a mix of sweet and spicy flavors to complement the shredded pork.
- Pork shoulder butt is used for shredded pork and provides the best texture and flavor
- A key ingredient is apple cider vinegar. This adds that familiar flavor to
- Worcestershire sauce has an umami effect and enhances
- . Spices like paprika, cayenne, and crushed red pepper flakes add a touch of heat to balance the flavor and sweetness of shredded pork
- Use brown mustard and dried mustard powder for an authentic Carolina-style flavor. Note: if you don’t have a powdered substitute with regular yellow mustard
- Cook slowly on a bed of yellow onions to infuse more flavor and create a variety in texture
- Brown sugar adds sweetness and pairs well with the flavor of cider vinegar
the taste of shredded pork as well as other meats
What meat to
use for shredded
The best cut of meat comes from the pork shoulder . It’s sometimes called a pig shoulder butt or even Boston butt, however, it’s the same cut and doesn’t actually come from the rear.
Pro tip: You can use the bone-in pig shoulder butt for more juiciness and flavor, however, boneless is also totally fine. I used boneless in this slow cooker shredded pork recipe.
Tips for slow cooking shredded
- Cooking LOW with a slow cooker is one of the easiest ways to separate tender, separate pork (and other meats). This shredded pork recipe is best if cooked slowly for at least 8 hours, preferably 10.
- I was a little anxious and checked it at the 4 hour mark while cooking over low heat. It was fully cooked, but still a bit hard and not flaky at all. Cooking longer breaks down the protein in the meat, which creates that ideal texture for the fork.
- For faster shredded pork, you can cook in HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Place the pork shoulder on a bed of sliced yellow onions to infuse more flavor.
- cooker keeps the meat moist and prevents it from drying
- Once cooked, crush the shredded pork and mix with the leftover Carolina sauce
- Use this recipe to make my professional Pulled Pork Sliders tip
Slow cooking with liquid in the slow
in the slow cooker to absorb the flavors.
: Start eating pork shoulder in the slow cooker during the morning. Put on low heat for 8-10 hours and return home with a hot, ready-to-eat dinner. Most slow cookers have a warm environment that continues after cooking.
Common answers for
- Why did my shredded pork come out hard? Shredded pork should be slowly simmered for at least 6 hours, but 8 is preferred. It will still be cooked in shorter times, but it will not be tender and flaky. Adding a little liquid flavors the shredded pork but also helps moisten it.
- How to make slow-cooked pork fast? Cook in a slow cooker over high heat for 3-4 hours. It will still be very tender.
- What is the difference between a slow cooker and a slow cooker? Not much, and they are interchangeable according to the Kitchn. The shredded pork pot will come out as tasty and tender as the shredded pork in a slow cooker.
- Can I make shredded pork in an Instant-Pot? If you don’t own a slow cooker or clay pot, use an instant cooker in the slow cooker setup for the recommended time.
One of the most important steps for
Carolina pork sauce After the
pork has cooked, remove from the slow cooker, but do not discard the leftover liquid. Use a fork to press the pork and break it into scaly pieces. Then add the shredded pork to the slow cooker and mix with liquid. This will infuse flavors into the meat and create an ideal moist consistency.
This recipe is especially simple, but don’t let that fool you into thinking the taste is simple. Carolina Style Pulled Pork is a blend of bold spices rubbed over roast. It is then cooked slowly, partially submerged in liquid to keep it moist and tender. Once cooked, simply crumble with a fork and serve.
More slow cooker recipes
you might like
- cooker Turkey Marsala Sweet potato
- carnitas bowls
- Slow cooker Philly Cheese Steak Dip
- Pulled Pork Sliders Carolina
Crumbled pork recipe at a glance
Flavor profiles: Fleshy, salty, slightly sweet and deliciously sour. Texture: Tender, moist and flaky. Dietary Options/Substitutions: Make sure your Worcestershire sauce and mustard are gluten-free. Omit brown sugar for low-carb shredded pork and keto, however, the taste will be more acidic.
Products Used in This Recipe:
Stainless Steel Cup and Measuring Spoon Set3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/YellowVictorinox fibrox 8-inch Chef’s Knife Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-Quart