Old Fashioned Pot Roast (Oven and Slow Cooker) – Get On My Plate
There’s nothing like an Old Fashioned Pot Roast for a warm, comforting meal… It has Sunday dinner written all over it! This pot roast is delicious to melt in the mouth and can be prepared in both the oven and the slow cooker. Gone are the days of hard sliced roasting: this easy recipe will help you be perfect every time!
roast dinner just screams comfort food on a Sunday, doesn’t it??!! The delicious aroma of its cooking will fill your entire house
Gone are the days of dry and sliced roasting (UGH!). I think this is why pot roasting has gotten a bad rap!
This easy pot roast is flavored with spices and herbs and will melt in your mouth! Serve it with a simple salad and some garlic bread or this easy Irish soda bread to absorb the delicious juices!
I have also included optional instructions (SUPER EASY) about sauce!!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Simple, easy to make, and such a warm and comforting meal
- It can be made in the slow cooker or in the oven
- Use a fairly cheap cut of meat.
- It makes your whole house smell absolutely AMAZINGGGG
OF THE RECIPE You will need the following ingredients to make this amazing old-fashioned pot roast:
Chuck Roast This is the BEST cut of meat for roast pot and is an easy cut to find at the regular grocery store. It is well marbled without being too greasy. Chuck roast has a lot of connective tissue that will break down when cooking and make the meat super tender.
Carrots: Opt for “real” carrots here versus baby carrots. They are sweeter and keep much better during the long cooking time.
Potatoes: Small, whole potatoes about 2″ wide work best
! Wine: This doesn’t have to be a high-value wine, but use a dry red wine that you would drink! Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Zinfandel are my favorite wines to use in this dish.
HOW TO MAKE OLD-FASHIONED POT ROAST: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that the complete instructions with the exact ingredients will be on the recipe card below
Step 1: Start by seasoning your meat with a combination of spices including salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and a hint of brown sugar!
2: Seal your meat to enclose all those flavors!
Step 3: Add beef broth, wine, Worcestershire, thyme and your vegetables.
Step 4: Cook slow and slow! In the oven, cook at 275°F for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours (depending on the size of your roast). In the slow cooker, cook in LOW 8-10 hours, the meat should crumble, this is how you know it’s made!
RECIPE TIPS AND TRICKS
- Trim any large pieces of fat in the roast (or any meat you’re using) before seasoning. Don’t worry about sacrificing flavor, there’s a lot of marbling on these cuts of meat!
- Don’t skip the scorching!!! Not only does it seal the meat with all those delicious spices, but it also flavors the “sauce” at the end
- Try to find small potatoes (about 2 inches wide). This way, you won’t have to cut them and they cook beautifully without getting soft! 🙂 Regular
- carrots (not baby carrots) work best and keep well during the long cooking time.
STORAGE AND REHEAT
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container, separate from juices/sauce. Leftovers are good up to 5 days.
- Reheat: Pour juices/sauce over pot roast and vegetables and reheat in a microwave-safe dish. You can also throw everything in a medium skillet and reheat that way as well.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Beef: The breast can be used in place of the chuck roast, however, I feel that the chuck roast cooks and crushes much better
Wine: If you don’t want to use wine, simply replace it with the same amount of meat broth
Onions: This is a great addition for more vegetables and flavor. Add a large or medium-sliced onion when adding the potatoes and carrots.
Other root vegetables: The fennel, sweet potatoes and different varieties of carrots are also delicious with pot roast! Feel free to add
Fresh herbs: You can also add a large sprig of fresh rosemary or oregano or a couple of bay leaves for an extra aromatic flavor!
OTHER HOMEMADE FOOD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- MEAT EASY STROGANOFF
- , WITH CHEESE FROM A GULGULLION POT (GOULASH!) EASY
- HOMEMADE CHILI CON CARNE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate it, it helps me a lot! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!