Chilled Marinated Shrimp Appetizer
Spicy and easy to make, this cold marinated shrimp appetizer gets a flavor boost from a combination of lemon juice, herbs and onion. It’s an easy dish to please the crowd that you can prepare in advance!
Guests coming soon? If you need a spectacular appetizer that’s easy but looks stylish, this tasty marinated shrimp recipe is your winner! This is my Aunt Bonnie’s marinated shrimp recipe, and it’s been a family favorite for decades.
This is a
light and refreshing cold marinated shrimp that would be perfect to enjoy on a hot summer day when you don’t want to turn on the oven
It is superbly plated with a garnish of extra lemon and herbs like thyme and basil. You could even string these shrimp to make marinated shrimp skewers too! If you’re a shrimp lover, you’ll love this cold shrimp appetizer!
Shrimp Recipe Tips
– You can substitute a small shrimp, large shrimp or even giant shrimp if you prefer. In addition, tail shrimp will also work well. Make sure you don’t overcook your shrimp, that will lead to gummy shrimp. Raw shrimp only take a few minutes to cook. You can use any cooking method, I like to sauté or boil shrimp.
Oil – My aunt’s original recipe calls for vegetable oil, but feel free to swap it for olive oil if you prefer
Condiments and herbs: You can add additional seasonings or herbs. A pinch of red pepper flakes would also give this shrimp a delicious kick!
Onion – The shrimp marinate along with the sliced onion rings, and you can discard them before serving or including them! Also, you can substitute red onion or shallots instead.
Addendums: My aunt also loves adding diced avocado before serving, a delicious addition! You can also add more lemon juice before serving along with a garnish of herbs. For more flavor, add lemon zest or minced garlic to the marinade.
Double for a crowd! – The recipe calls for 1 pound of shrimp, but my family usually doubles that for 2 pounds of shrimp. Trust me, these juicy marinated shrimp are DELICIOUS!
Serving cold marinated shrimp
- suggest using a wide plate or large bowl to serve your shrimp. I always like to add a pinch or two of extra herbs, salt and black pepper.
- Add any fresh herb you have on hand, add basil leaves and thyme sprigs. Fresh parsley is perfect for chopping and sprinkling on top for a touch of green. A few squeezes of a slice of lemon and add it to get a nice touch of color and serve them!
- You can serve these shrimp along with shrimp forks or toothpicks. Or you can string several shrimp on wooden skewers for easy grabbing!
- My family loves this shrimp, we often serve it as a main course along with grilled vegetables! We love fresh seafood, making it a popular recipe in our house. Plus, it’s the perfect party food.
How long can you keep marinated shrimp in the refrigerator? A common question is how long you can
keep these marinated shrimp in the refrigerator
. The answer is 3 days, in an airtight container! So this means you can prepare this shrimp appetizer before your party and have fewer things to worry about!
Next time you want an alternative to shrimp with cocktail sauce, I hope you try this tasty shrimp marinade recipe! Plus, it’s a healthy, low-carb appetizer or main course, so it’s an added bonus!
If you want another seafood appetizer to try, check out my easy recipe for crab cheese balls and mini po’ boy shrimp sandwiches
Check out these other easy party appetizers you’ll love!
- Ricotta Crostini Whipped with Honey
- Dip Caprese Cold Squares
- Spinach Cheese Easy
- Ball The BEST Olive Cheese Ball