Perfect Grilled Cod – A Couple Cooks
This grilled cod is full of flavor of homemade blackened seasonings! Cod is the fish you didn’t know you loved; Here’s how to grill it.
Here’s the newest recipe you didn’t know you needed: Perfect grilled cod! This fish is full of flavor and one of our favorite things to get off the grill this season. Maybe grilled cod doesn’t sound like something to be poetic about. But top it with homemade blackened seasoning and it has massive salty and smoky notes, with a hint of underlying intrigue of cloves and allspice. Or, you can use our seafood seasoning to get the same flavors without the underlying heat. Here’s how to make magic on your cod grill!
More with cod? Try this fried cod, baked cod, fish tacos or 15 top cod recipes.
What does cod taste like?
Cod has a mild, pure taste that is not fishy at all. In fact, it’s even softer than fish like salmon. Because of its delicate white meat and neutral taste, it is sometimes called “chicken of the sea” (although yes, it is also a brand of tuna). Cod is a great starter fish for people who don’t think they like fish. Another starter fish that is not suspicious? Tuna there grilled.
Ingredients for grilled cod This healthy
is very easy and requires only a handful of ingredients. You’ll need to make a mix of homemade seasonings, but once you do, you’ll have it on hand for several more batches. Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe
- Cod fillets: you can use fresh or frozen. Wild catch is usually a sustainable option if you can find it!
- Olive oil
- Homemade blackened seasoning or seafood seasoning The best seasoning
for cod… Blackened
The best seasoning for cod? Blackened seasoning. What is it? Blackening is a Cajun-style way of cooking fish in a cast iron pan with a mixture of seasonings. Each chef uses his own mix for blackened seasonings, so there is no official definition. Most recipes have spices familiar to Cajun cuisine: paprika, garlic, onion, oregano, thyme, and of course, cayenne for the heat! The heat level in this seasoning mixture is medium hot. These are the ingredients you will need:
- Smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- Garlic powder
- Celery seed Allspice
- Salt and black pepper
Make a large batch and you’ll have enough for plenty of grilled cod. Go to how to make blackened seasonings. Love spicy food? We have an even spicier seasoning that you can try. Use our Cajun seasoning instead.
Can’t stand the heat? Use seafood seasonings
I don’t want a mixture of spicy seasonings, we get it! This blackened seasoning has a little heat. But keep in mind: our 3 year old swallowed it! It’s somewhat sensitive to spices, but it didn’t seem to be in this case. If you prefer a softer option, we’ve got you covered. Try our seafood seasonings! It is really the best blend of flavors: a mixture of tasty, smoky and aromatic spices that create an irresistible flavor.
Cod grilling tips
You can grill cod directly on the grills – no aluminum foil required! It infuses the cod with a smoky flavor and a crunchy exterior. Here are our tips on how to grill
- The temperature for grilled cod? Medium high heat, or 375 to 450 degrees. The medium-high heat makes it a perfectly cooked piece of cod.
- Indirect use
- How long to cook the cod on the grill ? 4 minutes with the skin down, then 2 to 4 minutes with the skin up! The best way to measure if it is done is by using an internal thermometer. Stick it on the thickest part of the fish and it should read 130 degrees Fahrenheit. This should be just when the cod starts to shell when thrown away with a fork.
Ways to prevent it from sticking
to the grill!
Some people complain that grilled fish sticks to the grill. Here’s our advice: Don’t try to convert it too soon! When the cod is cooked enough, it is released from the grills, making it easier to flip. But if you touch it before that time, it can stick and break. It is not necessary to grease the grill grilles. Simply lightly grease the fish, and when cooking wait until the cod is easy to release (about 5 minutes). Then it’s easy to flip!
What to serve with
There are so many fantastic ways to customize grilled cod to make it a healthy dinner! Here are some of our favorite ideas for turning it into a tasty summer meal:
- peppers and onion or zucchini and grilled pumpkin Both grilled vegetable mixes would be colorful on the side.
- Grilled okra Bring a Cajun touch with grilled okra!
- There is nothing better than coleslaw along with grilled fish
- Pumpkin and zucchini casserole This homey casserole would be perfection right next door.
The best cabbage salad recipe
This grilled cod recipe is…
Gluten-free, dairy-free and pescatarian.
More grilled seafood
Looking for more grilled seafood recipes out of this healthy grilled cod? Here’s a great place to start:
- salmon or grilled tilapia Perfectly tender and flavored with a magical blend of seasonings that takes it to new heights.
- basil and salmon are the perfect pair!
- Grilled fish tacos Season the tender white fish with fajita seasoning, Then top with pico de gallo and creamy sauce.
- or grilled shrimp skewers Perfectly seasoned and good!
- Grilled Cajun shrimp or blackened shrimp Topped with a homemade spice mix, they are quick and easy to roast.
- Grilled tuna scorched on the outside and tender on the inside! Full of salty taste.
- Grilled scallops Easy to grill and needs minimal seasoning to taste irresistibly tender and tasty.
Perfect grilled shrimp