Instant Pot Tri-Tip Recipe
This Instant Pot Tri-Tip recipe is perfect for when it’s too cold to roast!
If you’re not from California, you may have never heard of Tri-Tip, but it’s one of my favorite roasts. Tri-Tip is great roasted or grilled, but when I crave a roast and don’t have much time to prepare one, I cook tri-tip in my instant pot or pressure cooker.
What is Tri-Tip?
Tri-Tip is a triangular-shaped cut of meat that is located from the bottom of the sirloin. It’s lower in fat than many cuts of beef, though it often comes with a chunk of fat attached to it. If you can’t find it at your grocery store, ask the butcher to cut it specifically for you.
How is Tri-Tip seasoned?
There is no right or wrong way to season tri-tip. Many people in the southwest like to season their tri-tip with a Santa Maria Dry Rub. I have included my Santa Maria Dry Rub Mix recipe below. Some like to season it with a steak. I’ve also included a basic dry fried meat mix recipe below. However, there’s no reason why you can’t get creative and use Cajun Seasoning or Chipotle Seasoning.
Santa Maria Dry Rub
Mix Recipe Ingredients
: 2 teaspoons chili powder 2 teaspoons smoked paprika 2 teaspoons onion powder 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons
- dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons
- sea salt
- coarsely ground black pepper 1
- /4 teaspoon cayenne How to
- Add all ingredients to a jar
- Place the lid and shake to mix.
While Santa Maria seasoning is commonly used in tri-tip, I often use a dry steak massage when I have company, as it is a little less spicy.
dry steak mix recipe for rubbing
: 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Add all ingredients to a jar
- Place the lid and shake to mix.
Do you have to use a dry massage at Tri-Tip
? While a dry massage works well at Tri-Tip
, you don’t have to use one. Occasionally I add 1/2 cup diced onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves to the Tri-Tip to add flavor instead of using a spice mixture. You can also top your Tri-Tip with 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce instead of using a dry massage. It’s your Tri-Tip, you can spice it up however you want.
How to cook Tri-Tip in an instant cooker or pressure cooker
The instructions are similar for cooking tri-tip in an instant cooker, an electric pressure cooker, a multi-pot pot like the Ninja Foodi and a stove pressure cooker
Sealing the meat
Not all electric
have a sautéing function that allows you to brown the roast. If your pressure cooker doesn’t allow you to seal the meat first, you can do it in a pan or you can skip that step. Your tri-tip will remain tender even if you don’t brown it first.
Use the shelf
No matter what appliance you are using, you need to place the rack that came with your pot at the bottom of the pot before cooking at high pressure, then place the triple tip over it, so that the roast sits on the rack or trivet instead of directly at the bottom of the pot.
How much liquid do I add?
When cooking Tri-Tip in an instant pot or electric pressure cooker, add 1 cup of beef broth. When cooking Tri-Tip in a stove pressure cooker, add 2 cups of meat broth because stove pressure cookers release more steam than instant cookers and electric pressure cookers.
Use the quick release method when you finish cooking the meat.
For an instant cooker,
an electric pressure cooker, or a multicooker like the Ninja Foodi, you’ll carefully move the release valve from “sealed” to “liberating.” I recommend using a pot holder in your hand when moving the release valve because the steam is very hot.
For a stove pressure cooker, you will move the pot to the sink and run cold water over the pot until it stops releasing steam.
Pressure cooker or instant triple tip recipe
These cooking instructions
will cook the three-pronged cooking halfway. There will be a little pink in the center. If you don’t want any rosé, cook it for 30 – 35 minutes. Even if it is well done, without a trace of rose, it will still be very tender.
- 2-3 pounds three-pronged roast 3 –
- 4 tablespoons dry mixture 1 tablespoon
- olive oil
- beef broth
1. Cut off the thick layer of fat from the triple tip.
2. Sprinkle 1 1/2 –
2 tablespoons of dry rubbing on each side of the tri-tip
alt=”Sprinkle the rubbing on the triple tip.” />
3. Work rubbing on meat.
4. Heat the
instant pot or electric pressure cooker to sauté
5. Place the triple tip in the pot and brown the bottom.
<img src="https://premeditatedleftovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Place-the-tri-tip-in-the-Instant-Pot-and-brown-the-bottom.jpg" alt="
Place the tip of the tri on the Instant Pot
and brown the bottom.” /> 6. Flip the meat and brown the other side.
7. Place the rack in the pot. Place the three-pronged roast on top of the rack. Add the broth to the pot.
8. Seal the cap and turn the valve to sealed. Select the “high pressure cooker” button, the “Meat” button, the “Meat” button or the “manual” button. Make sure the high-pressure function is turned on. Then set the timer to 25 minutes. When your instant cooker or pressure cooker has stopped cooking, use a pot holder to open the valve and quickly release the steam. Make sure all the steam has been released, and then carefully remove the lid.
9. Remove the triple tip and let the roast stand for 5 minutes before cutting and serving. While the tri-tip is resting, make sauce using the recipe below if desired.
<img src="https://premeditatedleftovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Slice-the-cooked-tri-tip-after-allowing-it-to-rest-for-5-minutes.jpg" alt="
Slice cooked tri-tip after letting stand for 5 minutes
Video of the Instant Pot Tri-Tip recipe
You can print the instructions at the end of this article.
How to Make Tri-Tip Beef Sauce Drips
Ingredients: 1 cup
- beef drip
- /4 cup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
beef broth or water
- Turn the instant pot or electric pressure cooker to the stir-fry function
- In a small bowl, combine the meat broth or water with the cornstarch until smooth.
- Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the roast drips, stirring continuously until completely incorporated.
- Continue cooking, while stirring until the sauce is thick and soft.
<img src="https://premeditatedleftovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/How-to-Make-Gravy-in-an-Instant-Pot.jpg" alt="
How to make sauce in an instant pot
” /> Pour the
meat sauce into a sauce jar and serve with the triple-sliced tip.
Printable recipe for Instant Pot Tri-Tip
More Pressure cooker recipes
Canned beef and cabbage Cooking
beans in a pressure cooker How to
cook Swiss steak
in a pressure cooker
How to make rice in a
This recipe was originally published on September 15, 2011, but was updated on February 6, 2019.