Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe – Add a Pinch
traditional favorite of Creole red beans and rice made easy in the slow cooker! It freezes well to prepare food too! Red beans and rice is
definitely a favorite food in my house. It’s so comforting and delicious. The ingredients for this satisfying meal are cheap, readily available at the grocery store, and are usually found in most stocked pantries. Beans are definitely a delicious and nutritious food that we enjoy. Like these beans, we love black beans and pinto beans in so many dishes as well. They are great to have on hand in the pantry for a meatless meal or perfect accompaniment.
But the best part about this recipe
is how delicious it is, and how easy it is to make! Red Beans and
Rice Recipe I
remember growing up mom making red beans and rice when she knew she would be home all day so I could serve him on the stove. Now, I only take about 5 minutes to throw the ingredients into the slow cooker, set the timer, and smell the delight while cooking. There’s no need to take care of the pot or float around the kitchen, which makes this remake of a family favorite super simple to make and a winner in my book.
to Make Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe
To make this dish, you’ll need:
- – You’ll need three 15-ounce cans of red beans. You will drain two cans and leave one undrained.
- smoked sausage – Use your preference of a mild smoked sausage or a spicy andouille sausage for more spices.
- celery ribs
- green pepper
- I also love using Stone House Seasoning instead of salt and garlic in this recipe. If you use instead of garlic cloves and salt, use 1 1/2 teaspoons.
- Worcestershire Sauce or Coconut Amino Acids – I love using coconut amino acids as I am sensitive to soy
- Salt – see note for garlic cloves
- chili powder
- uncooked long grain rice
- Optional garnish: green onions and/or fresh parsley
– chopped onion –
garlic cloves –
Step by step instructions
- Preparation. Add red beans (2 drained cans, 1 undrained can), smoked sausages, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic (or Stone House seasoning), Worcestershire sauce (or coconut amino acids), salt, and chili powder to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- cook. Stir all ingredients so that they are well combined, place the lid on your slow cooker and set the timer for 4 hours to High. Once the beans and other vegetables are tender, stir the red beans to combine all the flavors. I have to say that the aroma coming from the slow cooker is out of this world!
- Cook the rice. As the kidney beans are running out, cook your favorite rice according to package directions.
- serve. Once the beans and rice are ready, add rice to each serving bowl. Top each bowl of rice with a serving of kidney beans. For garnish, top your red beans and rice with chopped green onions and chopped fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!
How to Store Red Beans and Rice
This recipe is perfect to make ahead of time and freezes well
Once cooled, place cooked and cooled
in airtight containers and do the same with cooled rice. It will last 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze, let the kidney beans and rice cool completely. Divide each into freezer-safe containers. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat and serve
Most slow cooker favorites
Chicken tortilla soup Classic Vegetable soup and
white chicken chili
pepper Vegetable soup
Here is my recipe for red beans and slow cooker rice. I hope you like it as much as we do
enjoy! Robyn xo
Originally published September 2017. Updated 2021.