Easy Rice Pudding Recipe – Homemade Mastery
Do you have some leftover rice and want to make super creamy rice pudding for dessert or breakfast? Try this quick, tasty and easy kid-approved rice pudding recipe with cooked rice, milk and vanilla!
rice pudding When I was a kid, we used to call this rice dish: rice pudding, because, well, that’s basically what it is. In fact, rice pudding or rice pudding is actually the name of rice pudding in many countries.
If you’ve never made rice pudding before, don’t be intimidated. Because it’s super easy to prepare, especially when you’ve already cooked the rice. This is a great sweet rice recipe that can be served for breakfast or dessert. Hot or cold.
Just know, you and your kids will love how creamy and delicious this pudding tastes.
Be sure to cover the rice with some cinnamon and fresh fruit. Even just with cinnamon, it is so good.
Just 3 ingredients
What makes this quick rice pudding recipe different is that we are using leftover rice. It really speeds up the cooking process and, in my opinion, makes the end result even better and creamier.
Here are the three super simple ingredients you’ll need:
cooked rice –
- choose short-grain white
- – I used whole milk, but some types of plant-based milk might work just as well if you don’t have
- dairy-free vanilla
How to make
rice pudding with leftover rice
Here’s how to prepare creamy rice pudding the easy way:
Add the rice, milk
- and vanilla to a saucepan over medium
- Once the milk begins to heat up, reduce the heat to a lower temperature. Stir continuously with a fork for 5-6 minutes, until almost all the milk is absorbed by the rice.
- Remove from heat, cover the pan with a lid and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Top the rice with cinnamon and, optionally, butter and honey or some fresh fruit.
Can you eat cold rice pudding?
Yes! You can also enjoy this cold pudding during the summer. Simply place the cooled rice pudding in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least two hours. Top with fresh berries and enjoy.
In fact, I enjoy eating my pudding more this way.
If you want to make a large batch to have for the next 3-4 days:
- double the
- pudding ingredients in airtight containers (I like If
- you want to keep it warm: reheat in the microwave or on the stove with a little milk or water (rice absorbs a lot of milk and can be sticky).
- Top with your favorite ingredients when it’s time to eat
ideasThe simpler, the better! Don’t think about it too much, something light and fresh with just the right amount of sweetness will fit perfectly here.
Think berries, cherries, apples, pears, or even cut tangerines. These fruits are slightly acidic and this adds a pleasant flavor and contrast to the creamy rice pudding. Jam will also be a great topping!
More Easy Rice Recipes
: Healthy Rice and Chicken Skillet
- Ground beef and rice pan A pan
- rice, chicken and spinach
I hope you enjoy this delicious easy creamy rice pudding!
This recipe was originally published in December 2021 and updated in August 2022.