Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls – The Slow Roasted Italian
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls is a simple flavored slow cooker meal that is out of this delicious world! The filling is seasoned with garlic, onion, Worcestershire and onion powder and wrapped in sweet but tasty cabbage leaves. The best part is a spicy tomato sauce that really ties the whole dish together.
Crockpot recipes are a
home cook’s best friend (and a busy mom!).
I mean, what’s better than sticking cabbage rolls in the clay pot and having a family-sized meal waiting for you a couple of hours later?
cooker cabbage rolls Crockpot-filled cabbage rolls are the epitome of a warm and cozy home-cooked meal. It is truly a meal for all the senses!
The sound of
sizzling tomato sauce, the delicious aroma of ground pork and beef, the sight of the perfect rolls drizzled in sauce and sprinkled with herbs, and the mixed textures of soft leaves, rice and meat.
Want all the flavor but less hassle? You can make cabbage rolls without filling instead!
All the same ingredients, minus the work! Even better, you’re ready to serve in less than an hour.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Ground sausage – I use
- spicy ground sausage here for a little heat and a change in texture, but you can choose the protein of your choice: chicken, turkey or sausage Simple soft also adds depth. You could even go with all the chicken or turkey instead of beef, or sausages for that matter, to get leaner stuffed cabbage rolls.
- Onion powder, salt, pepper, chopped garlic and sugar – these spices and seasonings are really basic and form a solid base for tasty clay pot cabbage rolls. For a stronger garlic flavor, add a little more chopped cloves or change the salt with seasoned garlic salt. You can also add cayenne pepper or paprika for a little more heat!
- Worcestershire Sauce – Try it once and you’ll never forget the taste: spicy, sour and sweet, a trifecta of flavor! If it’s not your thing, you can mix some soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and hot sauce.
- Meat Base – You can make your own by reducing some stocks of meat on the stove. You can do the same with chicken broth or vegetables as a replacement.
How to assemble cabbage rolls from Parboil clay pot
- leaves. Before you can fill them, you need to start with soft, boiled cabbage leaves that are flexible and easy to work with.
- Add the filler. Wearing gloves, place a good amount of sausage filling directly in the center of the blade.
- Roll them up! Once the filling is in place, fold the bottom of the sheet upwards and over the center. Then fold the sides inward and finally pull the top of the sheet. You should be left with a small package, with no exposed filling.
- Transfer and kitchen! Place your stuffed cabbage in the slow cooker with the folds at the bottom, preventing them from opening while cooking. If all else fails, you can stick some toothpicks into the rolls to keep them together!
Storage and reheat
Leftover clay pot-filled cabbage rolls last up to 4 days in the refrigerator, depending on the amount of time they are left outside before refrigerating.
There are a couple of ways to reheat them. You can heat them in the microwave in 20-second bursts, heat them on the stove until they heat up, or stick them in the oven to 350°F until they are hot.
Cooker Cabbage Rolls FAQ
Enjoy! With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Originally published August 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, its price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us to continue creating new recipes.