Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken (Tacos)
These salsa verde tacos require only 10 minutes of hands-on prep work! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Slow cook Green Sauce Tacos – The sweet and spicy taste of this chicken is out of this world! Stack it in seasoned taco shells, and you have some serious treats that can’t stop eating that couldn’t be easier!
Thank you Flatout Flatbread for sponsoring this publication of Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken. All opinions are my own.
SALSA VERDE CHICKEN RECIPE VIDEO
PIN THIS RECIPE TO SAVE FOR LATER
Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
a love obsession with salsa verde. From my 3-ingredient green sauce chicken to my creamy chicken enchiladas with green chili topped with a delicious white sauce with sour cream, green chiles and salsa verde to my chicken enchiladas with honey and lime from Salsa Verde. These enchiladas are unlike many of the recipes with the same name that use heavy cream. Instead, my recipe combines extra honey and lime with extra salsa verde for a burst of flavor that matches my husband’s favorite enchiladas. Ever.
When I started
thinking about those enchiladas, I started obsessing over them. I needed that feast of flavors, in my mouth. But we’ve been having a heat wave around here and when it’s really hot, I love my slow cooker as much as I love my grill. So it was chicken, green sauce, honey, lime, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, etc.
And out came the chicken tacos with Crockpot green sauce without even breaking a sweat (at least cooking). And barely lifting a finger.
After crushing your chicken, it will look like there is a ton of juice/liquid, but let the shredded chicken soak in the lime and green sauce honey bath for 20-30 more minutes and you will be surprised at how many delicacies you drink. And even more surprised when the chicken enters your mouth.
Now, as much as you want to devour this simple Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken, it’s perfect for stuffing burritos, chimichangas and enchiladas and stacking nachos, tostadas and salads, but my favorite way to devour slow-cooked chicken with salsa verde is in tacos with pico de gallo, guacamole and one side of cilantro and lime rice or Mexican style rice.
But these aren’t just tacos, these are mini taco shells made from guilt-free antique Flatout Foldit flatbread that are brushed with the seasoned juices of your slow cooker and then hung on the steps of the oven and baked to the golden and crispy perfection of the taco (watch the technique video HERE, And start dreaming about the possibilities of seasoned taco shell! BBQ Sauce, Pesto, Buffalo Sauce, etc.). The shells are plentiful, crispy on the outside and still tender on the inside, perfect for wrapping Honey Lime Chicken Green Sauce stacked with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, sour cream. And perfect for eating 5 in one go. At least.
Slow cooker Green Sauce Honey and Lime Chicken. For the most delicious and easy to “pull and run” food. For your cravings for spicy, sweet and spicy chicken. For your delicious cravings for otherworldly tacos. For you. With love.
Ingredients in salsa verde tacos These slow-cooked chicken
have a simple ingredient list
: Chicken breasts:
- I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe
- Use extra virgin olive oil for best flavor.
- Salsa verde: You can use your favorite store-bought salsa verde, Or you can prepare it yourself.
- Honey: Perfectly balances spices
- Lemon juice: freshly squeezed better, but bottled will work in a pinch
- Spices: I seasoned the slow cooker of green chicken with chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Flatout FolidIt Flatbread: The base of tacos.
- Taco toppings: Use your favorite toppings, such as cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, hot sauce, etc.!
. Olive oil:
How to Make Green Salsa Tacos
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and place them at the bottom of your
- Add all remaining ingredients from the slow cooker
- 2-4 hours or over low heat for 6-7 hours or until the chicken is tender enough to crumble.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before crumbling.
- Return the shredded chicken and let simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices
- Season the Foldit flatbread taco shells (detailed instructions on the recipe card below).
- Stuff the taco shells with chicken and top with desired taco ingredients.
. Cook over high heat for
Tips for Making Green Salsa Tacos
- For spicier tacos, add extra hot sauce and/or cayenne pepper to the
- I highly recommend using boneless chicken breasts to make these chicken tacos easy. Boneless chicken breasts are easier to crush and you won’t have to worry about chewing any bones.
- The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of honey, so if you made this recipe before 2/22/2017 and thought it was perfect, that’s the amount you used. This was too sweet for some, so I’ve set it to 1/3-1/2. You can start with ⅓ cup and add more to taste if desired.
Variations of recipes to try
- Sweeten it: with extra honey
- Season it: Add additional chili powder or chipotle chili powder to taste.
- : Instead of making salsa verde tacos, you can use this chicken to make taco salads or burrito bowls.
Make taco salad
Can I prepare slow cooker chicken salsa verde in advance?
yes! You can make the recipe as instructed, then cool for up to 5 days. You can reheat large batches in your slow cooker if you plan to serve this to friends and family, or if you simply want to prepare meals for the coming week!
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT CHICKEN TO CROCKPOT GREEN SAUCE
This slow cooker chicken recipe makes fantastic leftovers as it reheats beautifully and stays tender, juicy, and spicy
- How to store: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Ingredients for tacos should be stored in separate containers.
- : heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Once hot, add the chicken, reduce to medium low and continue cooking and stirring occasionally until well heated. You may need to add a splash of water for the saltier chicken.
- Microwaving: Transfer chicken to a microwave-safe dish. Heat over high heat for 90 seconds, stir, and then continue cooking at 30-second intervals as needed until heated.
How to reheat on the stove
CAN I FREEZE Salsa Verde Chicken?
Yes! This recipe for chicken Crockpot green sauce freezes very well. To freeze:
Let the chicken
- cool completely
- Transfer the chicken to a large freezer-sized bag or divide it into smaller bags. Alternatively, transfer it to airtight containers.
- Press air out of the freezer bag, seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to eat, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator.
- Heat the stove until hot.
What to Serve with Salsa Verde
Tacos Slow cook chicken tacos are a spectacular main event that doesn’t need much on the sides. I love serving them with grilled corn, watermelon and rice with cilantro and lime.
These easy chicken tacos are also fabulous with:
chips and salsa
- . Every Mexican recipe needs chips and salsa! Upgrade your salsa game with homemade salsa, grilled corn salsa, pineapple sauce, mango sauce, or avocado corn sauce.
- Rice: It is a must in my book for any taco recipe. We love serving these tacos with cilantro and lime rice, Mexican rice or avocado rice. You can also serve with quinoa or low-carb cauliflower rice.
- Salads: Mexican salad, southwest salad, corn salad or southwest orzo salad.
- Vegetables: I strongly encourage you to go with the authentic Mexican Grilled Street Corn – you won’t regret it! Other alternatives include baked asparagus, roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes, roasted cauliflower.
- with honey lime vinaigrette, grape salad, summer fruit salad, watermelon salad or grilled caramelized pineapple.
- Carbs: The corn casserole is AMAZING or add some green chili peppers and/or jalapeños to my sweet cornbread recipe and watch it disappear (one of my all-time favorite recipes that I bring to everything!). Mexican street fries are also a favorite that disappear in an instant.
Fruit: Piña colada fruit salad, fruit salad
Looking for more cookpot chicken recipes?
Slow cooker Mexican chicken Slow cooker Fiesta Ranch Cream cheese Chicken Slow cooker Pineapple Sauce Chicken Slow cooker Fajita Slow cooker Barbecue Slow cooker Honey
- cooker chicken
Asian chicken sweet sesame chili Slow
for more easy taco recipes?
- Turkey tacos Tacos
- Al Pastor
- Cilantro Lima Shrimp
- Chili Lime
- Blackened Fish
- Baked Fiesta Ranch
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- and so on…
Want to try these Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken (Tacos)?
Put it on your CHICKEN, MEXICAN or bLOW COOKER board to SAVE for later!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST for more cool recipes! I’m always setting :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original