Slow Cooker Onion Gravy – Tales From The Kitchen Shed
Sharing is caring!
Slow Cooker Onion Gravy – Make your own rich, sticky onion sauce in your Crock Pot. Perfect with Bangers and Mash, Toad in the Hole or a tasty nut roast! Naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
We love our onion sauce here in the kitchen shed. It’s the perfect homemade food and much tastier than salsa granules!
Caramelized onion sauce made from scratch is as easy and even easier with its slow cooker. No more standing on top of the stove stirring the onions to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of your pan.
All you have to do is add the onions with some butter and oil to your slow cooker. Put the lid on and let the slow cooker work its magic.
What equipment do I need?
- A slow cooker or Crock PotWhat
ingredients do I need?
- Onions: Choose firm fresh onions to make a good tasty sauce
- Butter and vegetable oil – to help caramelize onions
- Seasoning – I have used 2 teaspoons of fine sea salt and 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. If you use a low-salt broth, you may want to add more seasonings to taste.
- White wine – adds flavor. The alcohol content is burned during cooking, but if you prefer not to use alcohol, add a little more broth.
- Stock – I used vegetable Swiss marigold broth.
- Balsamic vinegar for flavoring and coloring.
- Dijon mustard – I used Maille.
- Fresh thyme – I used 2 teaspoons. If you use dried herbs, remember half the amount.
- Corn flour / cornstarch mixed with a little water, to thicken the sauce.
How to Make Easy Onion Sauce Slow
Onion sauce really is easy to make with no roux to make and almost no stirring. The best onion sauce flavor comes from caramelized onions. Again, the slow cooker makes an easy job.
- sliced onions along with butter, oil, and seasonings to your slow cooker and let it cook for at least six hours over low
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir your sauce well
- Cook over high heat with lid open for at least an hour. This will help keep the sauce pleasant and thick.
Recipe substitutions and additions
Slow Cooker Onion Gravy can be customized to your family’s tastes
Onions – I have used brown, but you can easily substitute red onions or shallots. Either will give a sweeter flavor profile to your finished sauce.
Broth – I’ve used calendula Swiss vegetable broth for a vegetarian sauce, but you can substitute your favorite broth to make meat sauce or chicken sauce.
Wine – I’ve used white wine, but red wine works well, particularly with red onions.
Herbs: I have used fresh thyme, but sage, bay leaf or parsley are also a tasty sauce.
Add a tablespoon of red currant jelly for extra fruity sweetness. We love to add a tablespoon of our elderberry and port jelly for an earthy sweetness.
If you want to heat things up a bit, try adding a teaspoon of horseradish sauce.
What to serve with caramelized onion sauce?
Puree – serve with a large bowl of perfect mashed potatoes. Sausages – we always serve a pitcher of onion sauce with our homemade vegetarian sausages. Toad in the holeRoasted nutsChips or chips
long is it kept
slow-cooked onion sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days in a sealed container
Can it be overheated
Reheat in a pan on the stove over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Can I freeze slow cook onion sauce?
The slow-cooked onion sauce freezes well. Stir well once thawed and add 1 teaspoon of cornmeal mixed with a small amount of water to the sauce before reheating.
Let’s keep in touch! You can find me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
If you like
this recipe, you may also like it…….
stew meat and herb dumplings Slow cooker
vegetables and cider Cassoulet Pin Slow pot
of onion Sauce for later
I am entering Slow Cooker Onion Gravy in some challenges this month:
- & Baking Queen74’s Slow Cooked Challenge organized by Janice at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
- Credit Crunch Munch created by Camilla of Fab Food 4 All & Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and presented this month by Elizabeth at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.
- The Extra Veg Challenge created by Michelle of Utterly Scrummy & Helen of Fuss Free Flavours and presented this month by Helen.
Y linking to: Fiesta Fridays