Smothered Chicken – Jo Cooks
This delicious Southern-style choked chicken is comfort food at its finest. Scorched chicken thighs covered with a sauce made from scratch, cooked slowly until the chicken falls off the bone. The ideal dinner, best served on a bed of mashed potatoes or cooked rice!
The best chicken topped recipe
This chicken dish screams comfort and sometimes that’s what we need in life. It’s a Southern-style recipe made with chicken thighs dredged through seasoned flour, pan-scorched and then slowly cooked in a sauce made from scratch, until the chicken falls tender.
This chicken thigh recipe is great served over mashed potatoes or cooked rice because of all that delicious sauce, but you might also want to serve it with some fresh crusty bread to dip into that sauce and absorb all that goodness. It’s delicious and your whole family will love it.
<img src="https://www.jocooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/smothered-chicken-1-11.jpg" alt="a chicken
- Chicken thighs – I used chicken this with skin and bone, but you can also bone skinless chicken thighs. You can also use chicken thighs or breasts in this recipe.
- of my usual spices when I do a dry massage, such as garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, some chili powder, red pepper flakes for a little warmth and my herbs of choice here is Italian seasoning. Of course, you can change the spices and herbs and use your favorite chicken seasoning.
- – Onion and garlic are essential as the beginning of a good sauce. White or yellow onion is fine to use.
- Flour – We need some all-purpose flour to dredge the chicken and also to thicken our sauce.
- oil like canola to seal the chicken thighs and then some butter for our sauce to give it a great flavor and make it nice and velvety
- Chicken broth: I like to use low-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth will work too.
- – We need heavy cream to make our sauce nice and creamy, but you can use half and half for a little less fat.
Spices and herbs – I like to use a combination of some
Onion and garlic
Oil and butter – We need some vegetable
- Prepare oven and baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place a rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Make the spice rub. In a small bowl, whisk the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and chili powder.
- Prepare the chicken. Dry chicken thighs with paper towels. Generously season chicken thighs with about 3/4 of the seasoning rubbed. Place the seasoned chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Prepare the dredge. Season the flour with the rest of the seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the seasoned flour to a smaller bowl.
- Dredge chicken thighs. Dredge the chicken thighs through the flour mixture making sure they are completely covered. Shake off any excess flour. Place the thighs back on the rack and repeat with the remaining chicken thighs.
- Frying pan the chicken. Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. The chicken will not be fully cooked at this point. Transfer the chicken back to the rack.
- Cook the onion and garlic. In the same pan add the butter, onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic. Add the red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle flour. Sprinkle the reserved seasoned flour over the onions and continue cooking while stirring for another 2 minutes to remove the flavor of the raw flour.
- Make the sauce. Start pouring chicken broth while beating continuously and cook for a couple more minutes until the sauce simmers. Beat the thick cream and bring to a simmer. Test the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the chicken and stew in the oven. Add the chicken back to the pan and pour some of the sauce over the chicken. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Cook in the oven for an hour.
- Decorate and serve. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
choked chicken and sauce.” />What is
Smothered Chicken is a dish of chicken and southern sauce, consisting of pieces of pan-fried chicken, then slowly cooked in a sauce.
Do I have to wear chicken thighs?
You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs. This type of dish is also popular with pork chops or sometimes even fish.
<img src="https://www.jocooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/smothered-chicken-1-16.jpg" alt="chicken covered with sauce in a pan garnished with parsley." /
Store leftover chicken and sauce in an airtight container. It will store well in your refrigerator for up to 3 days!
Cool the covered chicken completely before transferring it to an airtight container and storing it in the freezer. It will last between 4 and 6 months.
More delicious chicken thigh
recipes to try
- stuffed with spinach and Swiss cheese
- a pot Baked
- chicken thighs
- and mushrooms in creamy dill sauce
- in a Hurry One
- Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice Chicken
Chicken thighs Stroganoff Air Fryer Chicken thighs and baked orzo from