The BEST Beef Stew Recipe (3 Ways!) + Video – A Spicy Perspective
The best meat stew recipe: Hearty and delicious stew to enjoy during the colder months. Make in the cooking pot, instant pot or on the stove!
<img src="https://i0.wp.com/www.aspicyperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/best-beef-stew-recipe-7.jpg" alt=
“Meat stew #ASpicyPerspective #BeefStew #BeefStewRecipe #Stew #StewRecipe #Beef #Crockpot #InstantPot #Stovetop #BeefStewCrockpot #SlowCookerBeefStew #BestBeefStew #HowtoMakeBeefStew” /> Meat stew On a cool, crispy night, nothing beats a hearty bowl of
of meat. It has the ability to satiate our body and comfort our mind.
Most people would say they’ve had a very good beef stew with mushrooms and wine, at some point in their lives.
Have you still tried the best meat stew recipe?
Growing up, beef stew was a weekly staple in our family. My mother did it hundreds of times throughout my childhood.
You can’t do something that often without perfecting it. You just can’t.
Over the years, I’ve tried many beef stew recipes outside my home, but no one’s stew comes close to my mothers. She is an expert in meat stew.
Am I biased? Probably.
However, mom’s easy meat stew recipe is something to experiment with. It is perfectly thick, but with tender pieces of meat and a silky base. It offers a bold and meaty taste, but with tons of herbaceous essence and a touch of sweetness of carrots.
Mom’s Beef Mushroom Stew is everything a great stew should be. You should try it!
<img src="https://i0.wp.com/www.aspicyperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/best-beef-stew-recipe-14.jpg" alt=
“Meat Stew Recipe #ASpicyPerspective #BeefStew #BeefStewRecipe #Stew #StewRecipe #Beef #Crockpot #InstantPot #Stovetop #BeefStewCrockpot #SlowCookerBeefStew #BestBeefStew #HowtoMakeBeefStew” />
Best Meat Stew Recipe
- Ingredients Thick Cut Bacon – Instead of oil or butter to sauté vegetables, add fat with luxurious pork essence!
- Beef Chuck Roast – Chuck roast offers just the right amount of fat marbling, so the meat is cooked slowly in tender bites.
- Onion – The background of all great dishes!
- Celery – Another essential for slow-cooked perfection.
- Garlic – Essential.
- Carrots – Provides sweetness and balance.
- Mushrooms – Along with beef, mushrooms create a rich earthy flavor.
- Stewed tomatoes – For balance and color. Be sure to break the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, or crush them in your hands before adding them to the pot.
- Italian seasoning – Dried herbs are perfect for slow-cooked meat stew and soups. The long simmering time brings out its flavors.
- Meat broth – You can also use meat broth or mushroom broth.
- – Adding a splash of red wine gives the stew that little extra something. It’s not necessary, but it makes a difference in the overall taste. Use wine for cooking or regular wine.
- Russet potatoes – For thick goodness and thickening.
- Parsley – Add a pinch of fresh parsley at the end to brighten up the deep flavor.
How do you make homemade beef stew?
It’s so easy! Simply cut your meat and vegetables and throw them in the pot.
You can make our best meat stew recipe
on the stove or make clay meat stew. I’ll show you how below.
How to make meat stew on the stove
- Chop all the ingredients. Except potatoes… Save them for later.
- Brown the bacon. Bacon makes everything better, right? It even adds an extra layer of flavor to the stew.
- Sauté the vegetables. This softens the vegetables and allows them to release their flavor in the stew.
- Brown the meat. Cooking the meat a little in advance, blocks the juices so that the meat retains its essence while simmering.
- Add more vegetables, herbs, and broth. It’s time to simmer the soup. Keep the pot covered, so that the meat can soften.
- Now the potatoes. If you add the potatoes to the stew right away, they tend to cook into porridge when the meat is soft and tender. I like to give the meat an edge and add the potatoes about 30 minutes in the cooking time That way, they are soft and still thicken the base of the stew, without disappearing completely.
- Cover and simmer. Simmer another hour or so, until the pieces of meat arenultra tender. There is nothing worse than hard meat in a stew.
Clay meat stew
a slow-cooked meat stew in the morning. Then come home for one more perfect dinner late in the day!
- Use a multi-cooker to sauté the vegetables and brown the meat directly into the vessel. Then add the remaining ingredients and put them to cook slowly.
- If you don’t have a multi-cooker, start the recipe in a large pan on the stove, then transfer the meat and vegetables to a slow-cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
- Yes, it is important to tenderize the vegetables and brown the meat before cooking it slowly. Meat stew won’t taste the same if you skip this step!
- 8 hours, or over high heat for at least 4 hours.
Cook slowly over low heat for at least
Instant pot meat stew Absolutely, you can make this recipe in an instant pot! However, you can’t make this easy meat stew recipe exactly as it is, because the recipe is too big.
- To make the best meat stew recipe in a pressure cooker, reduce the entire recipe by half. (Use our portion slider in the recipe below to adjust ingredient measurements.)
- Sauté the bacon, onions, celery and garlic in the instant pot for 5
- Then add all the ingredients and put in Pressure Cook High for 20 minutes.
- Perform a quick release. Then, once the button drops, it’s safe to open the lid.
Tips and tricks
Bacon lovers, you can add a few more strips if you wish. Just don’t do it too much, or the base of the stew will be greasy.
Yes, you can omit any vegetable. Just remember, they’re all included for a reason, so changing vegetables will alter the overall flavor a bit.
Moining about wine? Non-drinkers, they can skip the wine if they don’t want the extra wine to go to waste. (You can also buy mini bottles.)
When you’re in a hurry, buy pre-cut stew meat (which is usually roasted), pre-cut vegetables from the produce department, and minced garlic.
Not a meat eater? Use this as a base recipe to create pork stew, lamb stew, or chicken stew using chicken broth.
How long does meat stew last?
Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This is a great freezer recipe. Store leftovers in an airtight freezer container and freeze for up to 9 months.
Defrost completely at room temperature, before reheating on the stove.
See the recipe
card below to learn how to make the best meat stew recipe. Enjoy!
More amazing soups and stews
- Perfect Tuscan-style meat barley soup
- Seafood Cioppino Recipe
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Soup Mesir
- Wat Lentil Stew with Ayib
Share this recipe with friends!